iMac G4 to Monitor Conversion

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by A.Goldberg, Mar 30, 2015.

1. A.Goldberg, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I briefly saw a thread here about turning an iMac G3 into a monitor the other day. It reminded me something I wanted to do a long time ago, which was convert an iMac G4 into an external DVI monitor. There are a number of example of this, including:
    Link 1
    Link 2

My idea gut the inside of a dead/dying 17" or 20" iMac G4, splice in the wiring for the display (DVI). From there, I could do a SATA to USB conversion to make the CD drive function as an external (I'm not sure how I'd open it to be honest). Maybe if I get bored I could hookup the internal hard drive as well. If I really wanted to go all out I could throw in an amplifier to hook up the Apple Pro Speakers via a 3.5mm jack... but now I sense i am running out of room.

I'll plop this thing on my desk at work and hook my ThinkPad up to it. It's the closest I'll ever be to getting to use a Mac at work. :(

Has anyone ever given this a shot? G4 iMacs can be found pretty cheap (though there are some absurd listings). If I find one with a fried logic board or other issues (aside from the monitor obviously) maybe I'll pick it up and get my hands dirty. I've been looking for a project to do.

EDIT: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/4952770902.html
    If this iMac is still available when I go back to Connecticut next weekend for Passover, I will jump down to NYC and pick this guy up.

2. MatthewLTL, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015

MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I read something awhile back where someone actualy put a NUC inside of the iMac G4 they converted the screen to DVI and connected it via HDMI to DVI adaptor to the HDMI of the NUC the NUC makes for a good Hackintosh. It takes some case modding but it is doable. Just an Idea.

3. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

Below is a detailed build of the Intel NUC into a iMac G4. It has lots of pictures and build information. You should check it out. I wouldn't do this to a function machine though.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/102250-ersterhernds-nucimac-g4.html

If the motherboard dies on my iMac G4, I might consider converting it to a monitor. The whole internals swap seems a bit complicated for me.

4. MatthewLTL, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015

MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

There it is! That is exactly what I read.