iMac G4 Touch Screen?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OrangeSVTguy, Feb 1, 2009.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I was wondering about touch screens for older iMac G4s. I don't know if anyone has ever done this but I'd like to put one of the older iMac G4s in the kitchen and would love for it to have a touchscreen. I've heard of people using the Wacom tablets behind the LCD screens in iBooks/Macbooks to make them tablet PCs. Would this idea work in the iMac?

I can't find anything on google, at least on the first 4 pages :(.

2. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I have nothing positive to post on this matter.

That being said, I am very interested in this idea and I have seen your other posts, particularly the orange Macbook you made, the one where you mix-matched the black and orange keys and there was the issue with the F6 key I believe because of the light. I'm a big fan. Orange is also my favorite color and I recently got a Tangerine Clamshell iBook and upgraded it and I use that tangerine Apple logo background you had.

I look forward to seeing this thread unveil and what may come from it. You seem very capable of making this happen.

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah thanks for the reply. That Orange Macbook was actually someone else's, infinitethrill. I just did the orange and black iBooks that are in my sig.

I'm eventually gonna do this. I'm just looking to see if I can find a cheap enough iMac G4, I'd really love the 20" model but can't see myself spending $400 or so on that. The 15" & 17" is more likely what I'll get and I want at least a 1ghz model so I can have the DDR and airport extreme. USB 2.0 wouldn't hurt either but I like FW more ;).

I'm also googling to see how much space is in the LCD panel. Those wacom tablets can be had for <$50 for a 4x6.

4. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Here's one I made up quickly in PS that you might like.
    Just click the link to January Desktops.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6969028#post6969028

5. linuxjuicer macrumors newbie

linuxjuicer

Touchscreens

I myself an trying to tabletize an iBook g4 14" and have yet to find any touchscreens that will fit. I'm trying to get the troll touch guys to have a meeting with me to commission one but no luck so far. If anyone finds any, link it, would be much appreciated :D

6. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Searching you have been doing ;).

I got a bunch of parts from a 14" 1.42ghz if you need any minus the broken LCD. I got them listed in the marketplace on this site and I'm also listing them up on ebay. PM me if you need anything.

I do remember reading long ago that someone that used a smaller type touch panel and it spanned the whole size of the LCD screen. Just so you don't only have the touch feature in just the little 4x6 area. I can't remember where I seen that or what product he used :(.

7. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I saw an episode of Pimp My Ride where they had a powerbook in the back and a touch screen connected to it put in the roof of the car. Though that is slightly different then your idea... :)