imac G4 upgrade help.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dr. Noob, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Dr. Noob macrumors newbie

I have two old G4 imacs sitting around my house, and I was wondering if there is a way to connect the two computers together, to make like a duel processor, duel monitor computer out of them.
    Thanks for you help.

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

3. Dr. Noob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,
    Is there much I can do to upgrade it?

4. tonyl macrumors 6502

You need to give us the hardware details. Or just add more memory.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If it the lamp shade model you can upgrade the HDD, memory and the cd drive. You can't upgrade the processor since it's attached to the motherboard.

6. Dr. Noob thread starter macrumors newbie

What I was hoping to do was either upgrade the CPU, or be able to use the 15" displays as monitors for another computer.
    Since I can't upgrade the CPU, is it possible to use the monitors as second display?

7. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Welcome to the joys of upgrading a closed system. Nope, you can't use the iMac's monitor as a second display.

There once was - or still is - an American company that would upgrade the CPU of the iMac G4 to a faster model; you had to send them your computer and they'd return it with a modified logic board. It was not cheap, but they'd upgrade the 1.25 GHz model to an almost 2 GHz version (or whatever the fastest G4 CPU was). I don't recall the name of the guys. Maybe somebody else here does. If not, try googling for "iMac G4 CPU upgrade" or something like that.

The coolest thing would be if there was somebody who'd put the main board of an Intel Mac Mini into the old iMac G4... *sigh* My girl friend still has a 17" iMac G4 1 GHz; would be cool to bring that machine into this millennium. After all, this was the most beautiful computer Apple -ever- sold.

UPDATE: Okay, the name of the company is DAYSTAR. Here's a review: http://www.barefeats.com/imup.html
    And this leads to their website: http://daystartechnology.com/Apple_...h_Products/Mac_CPU_G4_Upgrade_iMac_FP_PS.html

8. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

You know it! I love that computer - so much so I just got one for less than $300 on eBay. I have a souped up Windows desktop with 2 drives running XP and Vista so I don't need the best Mac on the market. I got the machine I loved from the instant I saw it.

That is awesome. I'm sort of afraid of sending it in to a company with not that much of a reputation. I just put all of my info on it - and there's never any telling if they would try to take anything. Given I'm very cautious and could be overanalyzing things and that I could just take out my hard drive.

The name Daystar reminds me of Psystar. :eek: Abort! -- No, I couldnt resist. That's actually a very cool deal. I may look further in to it.

9. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Not true. Check out ScreenRecycler.