Imac g4 upgrade to Leopard 10.5

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kurtbdudley, May 19, 2013.

1. kurtbdudley macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I just acquired an imac g4 and I want to upgrade it to Leopard. But from what I have seen on the internet you can't do it with the factory disk drive because it can't read dual layer disks. I'm quite sure that the disk drive was never replaced so I need an alternate option.

How would you go about installing Leopard on an imac that can't read dual layer disks? Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Most, if not all, G4 iMac's can read the dual layer Leopard disc without a problem. I've never encountered one that couldn't.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you have another Mac you can use Remote disk to read from the DVD in the other Mac connected over ethernet.
    Or, again when you have another Mac use Target Disk Mode to install from another Mac.

That is if it really can't read dual layer.
    Intell knows his stuff.:)

4. kurtbdudley thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way I could find out if my specific machine can read dual layer? I know it was one of the last machines made so it might have slight upgrades.
    Would i have to create a partition to use target disk mode? Or would I just erase the hard drive and then boot it up holding the T key and select that harddrive to install leopard?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put the Leopard disc in and see if it reads it. It very likely will read it without a problem.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

As I said before, listen to Intell first, if that does not work report back again.