Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ac2598

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Hi,
I have recently been given a beautiful iMac G4 15" and would like to set it up to only do two tasks 1) watch TV using Elgato Eyetv Diversity and 2) stream internet TV. However it seems that I can't get past the fact that I need greater than os 10.4, USB2 and 800Mhz.

Is there a way I can upgrade as I do love the look of this machine :)

Cheers Anthony

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Gut it and set it on top of a Mac Mini. I've got an old G4 I will not part with, but even surfing the web can be a chore. It won't do what you want it to.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
for usb 2.0 you need the iMac g4 models 1.0 (15" )and 1.25 (17" and 20")

or you need a firewire tv card
rare,huge items, never did come across one in any shop , but they do exist
http://www.inventa.com.au/Product%20Release%20and%20Comment/FireDTV.htm
but is something like a firewire tv card available for Mac ...no idea never came across one ,even looking at ebay where you find most unusual things did not bring anything up

but i am here to give you hope , there had been usb 1.0 analogue tv cards available , if you find one of those and if its still working , then you only need one of these dvb-t settopboxes (like the things you connect to your old tv) but you need the aerial feed type, not scart type
i use one of those aerial feed settop boxes with my powermac 5500 (from 1997) which has no usb at all and not even firewire ..but a analoque tv card build in , so i can watch digital tv on the old Mac using a aerial feed settopbox :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.