iMac G4 use as monitor, LCD replacement?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by galvax, Jul 19, 2009.

1. galvax macrumors newbie

hi, i was reading about how to use toy iMac G4 LCD screen as a monitor for another computer and i have to say that i will love to do that myself!. Since my iMac G4 LCD screen is broken, i have to go with the LCD replacement idea for my 17" iMac G4, so my question is, Has anyone been able to do such thing? if so, could you please tell me how did you do it and what materials did you use?, also some pictures would be helpful too.

Thanks!!

2. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

3. galvax thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, i have used that program and its not really good since is through a local network and it uses VNC.
    So, what i wanted to do its to replace the iMac G4's LCD with another one that for sure will work with any other computer, so that i still have the lovely iMac G4 design.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Buying a new computer will be cheaper than replacing the screen. You can use the screenless iMac as a file server.

5. galvax thread starter macrumors newbie

i know that and i already did hahah, but now i want to use my iMac G4 as a monitor for my new macbook, and the only solution i found is to buy a monitor that for sure works with any computer and try to fit it in the iMac G4 case. I read that this is possible, but i haven't seen any pictures so thats why im asking if someone has done it and if they could give me some pics of the process.

Thanks.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Buying a monitor to connect directly to your MacBook is absolutely the cheapest option. Why are you trying to make things harder and more expensive than they should be?

7. galvax thread starter macrumors newbie

Because i love the iMac G4 design! i just love it! thats why i still have it, but i have been considering the idea of just getting another screen, except that the designs wont match :(