iMac G4 - worth getting at good price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by koobcamuk, Oct 31, 2007.

1. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

A friend of mine is selling iMac G4 (flat panel) 1Ghz. He said he's checking more of the specs and thinks it's a 17" er.

He also has:

800MHz iMac G4 'sunflower' flat panel

667MHz Power Mac G4 graphite & 17" Formac LCD

For sale.

I would get an iMac and use it to record eyeTV and encode it in prep for my iPhone, something like that. I am trying to think of other uses.

I was thinking that something around the £100 mark might be a good price to offer and wondered if any one had any advice/thought it wasn't worth buying.

See my sig and avatar for current setup.

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

3. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

He said "make a reasonable offer it's a work computer and we aren't trying to make money, just recoup some upgrade costs..."

I pitched in at £150 inc personal delivery for the

17" 1GHz, 1GB/80GB HD/DVD-RW - no Airport

What do you think to that?

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

If its 1Ghz + Get it if its a good deal. Don't bother getting anything less than 1 Ghz as you'll more than likely expect more from it than it can provide (such as smooth flash playback).

5. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

yeh, I don't want less than 1Ghz as I would like to replace my TV with this. I have eyeTV, but on a MacBook, I have so much else going on.

It would be nice to just have a dedicated iMac for storing TV and suchlike. No airport though... got to think about how to get around this one (the router is not in the lounge).

EDIT: Also, what is the best OS (I mean optimum) to run on a 1GHz iMac G4 with 1GB RAM?

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

(Does conversion of £150 to USD...Gets $310 :p )

Hey that's not bad, in my opinion, especially for those tasks. And since you've got a MacBook, if the iMac is ever tied up you can use it. Plus the G4's are gorgeous if I do say so myself. I wouldn't mind having one along with my iMac Core 2 Duo.

I would say you could run Tiger great on it, and maybe--just maybe get away with running Leopard on it as well.

7. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I think it should run 10.5.... I think. It's a 1Ghz, so it should be fine. Tiger is a great OS though - I wouldn't be afraid of it or worry about it at all. Stable mable.

I love the design - always have. It's the main reason for considering this purchase.