imac g4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snickrep, May 15, 2007.

1. snickrep macrumors newbie

I was cleaning out my closet and noticed my iMac G4 sitting in a box. I hooked everything up and I had left it how it was back in early 2004. I certainly miss using my mac, I now use a HP notebook. My imac G4 is pretty outdated by today's terms.

I was just wondering what I should do with it. I believe its a 15" 800MHz imac G4 superdrive. It has 256MB of Ram, 60GB hard drive, and a geforce2 MX 32MB. I was thinking about upgrading the RAM and the disk space, but wasn't sure if it was worth it since I can't upgrade the CPU or video card.

I mainly use photoshop elements, but I'm thinking about buying the CS version. I also like to design and make webpages. I'll be learning and possibly buying Flash soon and I also plan on learning 3d as well. I know imacs are the best for 3d, but I just want a decent setup to get me started.

Upgrading my imac g4 might be pointless, so I was wondering if I should trade it in for another mac. If so what mac?

2. snickrep thread starter macrumors newbie

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

60 Gb HD ain't bad. You can always add an external Firewire, probably better plan than opening the case.

You can upgrade RAM fairly easily to 768 Mb with a PC133 512 Mb SODIMM in the User-accessible socket just underneath the round metal plate on the bottom of the machine. The internal DIMM socket I do not recommend attempting to accesss, leave that for a technician with the tools and the instructions.

I have lots of clients using these machines for email, browsing, word processing, scanning and iPhoto with no problems. Of course when you really load it down (1000's a photos in iPhoto for example) it does hit its limits sooner than a more powerful machine.

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If the HD is near full then you run into speed problems. However, it should be fine otherwise. RAM is nice to have 768 or up but 512 is probably ok. I'm using my 500 MHz iMac and it's still running along.

5. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

I sold that exact computer today, except with 512mb of ram for $400 today....sell it asap.