imac g5 1.6ghz will not boot past blue screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Graemefoy, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Graemefoy macrumors newbie

My imac will not boot past the blue screen. It crashed whilst loading a new application which I downloaded from the mac website, had to force a shutdown as it wasn't responding, and now it will not boot no matter what I try..
    I have searched for answers on the forums but my mac will not respond to any keyboard commands even with the installation dvd inserted.

I don't get the startup chime anymore either.

I am now stuck for what to do and have run out of ideas, would appreciate some advice.

Many thanks.

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

So your unable to boot into single user mode? command+s? and run fsck? The keyboard your using is that usb or bluetooth?

3. Graemefoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for responding,

the keyboard is usb.

I cannot get into single user mode, in fact it isn't responding to any commands during startup..

I have the installation dvd and am holding 'c' whilst booting the machine but it isn't responding to the keyboard commands at all.

Once it gets to the blue screen there is the curser with a broken/dotted box shape next to it. and the curser will move but nothing else will happen.

4. Graemefoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that post.

I guess it could be a HDD error but why would that stop the keyboard commands from working?

Plus, to rub salt into the wounds it has swallowed my Installation DVD and I cannot retrieve it now..

I'm sure if I could get to the diagnostics I could run the 1st aid program and possibly fix the error but it won't let me get there.

Frustrating!

5. raziel777 macrumors regular

When you restart the computer again, hold down the mouse button. This should eject the disk. Have you tried a different keyboard? Unplugging it from the wall and holding the power button down for about a minute? You could also try taking out the memory 10 min. or so. Then start it without the memory. Then try again with the memory. Do you have an external drive with OSX you could boot from?