iMac G5 1.8GHZ + Leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by msjones, Nov 7, 2007.

1. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Hi all,

I have jus got an iMacG5 the 1.8GHZ model (without isight). At the moment it is running OS X 10.4.10. I would like to upgrade to Leopard, I have read the system requirements and my system seems more than adequate but at the moment I am only running 768mb ram.

What I would like to know is how smoothly would it run on this machine, would it be faster than Tiger? IS it worth the upgrade?

Also I only have a 64mb nVidia fx card, how would this handle the new eye candy?

Many thanks,
    Mj:apple:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have the same machine with 1GB of RAM and it runs fine.

Leopard does use more memory than Tiger though. If you're using your iMac day to day for all your tasks I'd upgrade it to 2GB RAM to get the best out of it. 768MB will only just about cut it.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Leopard will run fine on that machine - one of the Macs running it at work is a 1.8Ghz G5. I'd add more RAM if possible, though as it will improve performance somewhat. For now, however, 768 should be okay.

Don't expect Leopard to be faster than Tiger - some areas are quicker, but overall the performance is similar. The extra features and improved networking are well worth having though :)

4. aprilfools macrumors regular

5. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

But get it from Crucials uk site ;)
    www.crucial.com/uk
    Not quite as cheap as the Merkin site, but its as cheap as us Brits will ever get it here.

PS, I have one of these 1.8ghz G5 iMacs too. I've not put Leopard on yet, as im about to sell it. But im certain it will run it just fine. And yes, 1gb or more of ram would be best.