iMac G5 1.9GHz iSight.... Screen help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacBooksRock, Dec 10, 2007.

1. MacBooksRock macrumors regular

Hello,
    I just got an iMac G5 1.9GHz w/ iSight, off of CL with a screen that had a vertical red line on the right side of it..... Is it possible to fix this with a new LCD? Or is it the logic board? Thanks!

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

try using an external display. if the line is on the external display, then logic board. if no line on the external display, then LCD.

replacing the internal LCD on those is a tricky/difficult repair. if you don't have some serious hardware ski77z, i would recommend apple or an authorized repair shop. best of luck.

3. MacBooksRock thread starter macrumors regular

Ok... Ummm, would reinstalling the OS by any chance have something to do with it?? Anything I can do besides replace the LCD? It doesn't have the line when hooked up into an external monitor :D. Thanks!

4. DerKommissar macrumors member

Nope...it's a bad LCD. Sorry.

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

then dead/dying/defective lcd. sorry. reloading the OS won't repair the lcd. double sorry.

lots of things i would rather do than replace one of those, like hit my thumb with a hammer, or do my own tax return (U.S. (for now)), or go on 'survivor' and stand on a pole for 9 hours in 120 degree heat after not eating for 30 days. you get the idea. best of luck.

6. MacBooksRock thread starter macrumors regular

Ok... I found an LCD on eBay that I'm going to bid on... Will post after it's installed.. ;)

7. MacBooksRock thread starter macrumors regular

Any instructions on how to install a new LCD without ripping wires out? Thank you!!

8. MacBooksRock thread starter macrumors regular

CAN you put a regular G5 (without the iSight) 17" LCD in the iMac G5 w/ Isight? Thanks so much!

9. geissap macrumors member

I agree it's probably 90% LCD not MLB

Try ifixit.com. The hardest part of that repair is getting the outside bezel off. it takes alot of practice. You have to use a old credit card and slip it into the back air vent to pop to clips. It's a pain especially if you've never done it.

And make sure when you get it to pop off finally that you pull it off gently because the camera wires are connected to it. You have to disconnect those and then place the bezel to the side.

The other tip I have is be careful when peeling back all the black emi shielding. Try not to rip any of it or the repair gets real sloppy real quick. Othen then those two obstacles it's not to bad.

10. catunto2005 macrumors newbie

changed lcd now imac g5 isight will not turn on

hi i had the same problem with my screen verticle lines so i bought a new screen and when i changed it my imac will not turn on if i unplug the screen from the imac it will power on but. anyone ever have this problem i can not understand why its doing this my old screen in the imac will turn on my new screen imac will not turn on

11. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

It is also a possibility that the issue isn't the LCD but the LCD connector ribbon. Just something else to consider.

----------

Are you sure the display is compatible? Also check to see if you plugged everything else correctly and grounded the display (I don't know if you have to do this in an iMac, I've never taken one apart).