iMac G5 10.5.8 correct startup selection screen?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Mar 13, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello everyone. I was attempting to remote reinstall OS X Leopard on my iMac G5 and this screen doesn't look right to me. If I'm wrong, great. If not can someone give me any information about it?

19" iMac G5

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thanks. It just looked too much like an earlier OS than what I remember from the startup disk selection screens with my iMac. Maybe my memory is flawed.

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Nothing wrong, that screen is (I believe) displayed by Open Firmware, when Apple switched to Intel/EFI, those screens changed.

5. PowerPCMacMan, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Remote reinstall

If I recall reading somewhere on Apple's website, remote reinstall is not compatible with PowerPC Macs. Its only supported on the MacBook Air and also the other Intel Macs.

I am not sure why this is so, but I read it somewhere though. Maybe I am wrong? - CORRECTION: I stand correct on this assumption based on the following information from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2129

No PPC Mac can do remote reinstall and I don't know of any workaround for it.

6. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thanks for this. At least now I can stop trying to do that.

It double sucks though because I accidentally included my firewire 400-400 cable when I sold my older external HDD. So, I wonder if I could use my iMac to burn a copy of the OS X installation disc that came with it onto a DVD that the iMac G5 can read and use to reinstall it.