iMac G5 2.1 GHz: Adding RAM = speedup?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wrldwzrd89, Dec 11, 2007.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have an iMac G5 20" 2.1 GHz. I wish to upgrade its RAM from the 512 MB it comes with to the maximum it will take - 2.5 GB. Will this make a significant difference in how well it runs (assuming the RAM is good), particularly if I then install Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" Server on it?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

A huge difference 512MB of ram is very small these days, and to be honest it was small for that machine when it came out. I had 1GB on my iMac G5 and it was noticeably not enough.

Usually with these questions it is a case of looking at pagein/page outs to see if you are coming against the ram limit but for a base 512MB just do it.

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Okay, thank you very much! I did not know about page in/page out checking as a way to see if you're using RAM efficiently.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well if your page outs are anywhere near your page ins then you need more ram. Even if they are about half or a quarter then you would want more ram as it shows you are regularly going over the ram.

Just out of curiosity what are your numbers with 512MBs.

5. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd tell you if I was at that Mac right now... but I'm not. :(

6. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Just took a look. Current numbers: 52748 page ins/0 page outs.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Seriously from 512MBs that is very impressive. Leads me to the question what do you actually do on that computer because I go over 512MB of ram within about 3 seconds of starting to use my computer.

8. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That computer is a server, and mostly sits around unused at the moment.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Perhaps you don't need more ram because it shows you aren't going over the limit.

At the moment?

What is likely to change? What I would do is use it as it is for a while and keep checking these numbers after periods of useage to see how well the machine is coping.

BTW I have no experience with servers

10. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In the not-too-distant future I intend to install Mac OS X Server on it (which requires that the RAM be upgraded to at least 1 GB) and use it for server stuff. Also, I'm considering exposing it to the Internet eventually... which would drastically increase the load on it.

11. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Leopard really liked when I upgraded, especially 'cause I was hitting 1GB pretty often. Do it. :p

12. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Alright then, looks like I will be upgrading it after all. I'm still trying to decide where to get the RAM from, though. I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

Reputable online dealers mentioned in Mac Guides: Buying RAM
    My local Micro Center (if they have it in stock)
    Other "bricks-and-mortar" stores nearby

13. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I stuffed 1.5gb into my old G5 2.1 and it ran nicely. You could get away with 512mb under Tiger, but Leopard really wants more.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I recommend Newegg. Three day delivery, plenty of user reviews to read for everything sold. Never had a problem with them. Ordered my 2gb for $40 on Sunday, received it Tuesday, popped it into my MB when it arrived.

15. gorby macrumors 6502

I have

Page ins/outs: 222380/175724

Can you tell me what that means? I have read about page outs before but I don't really know much about it.

I still have the stock 1GB of RAM. I WILL be buying 4GB-- just haven't done it yet.

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Basically page outs are when memory is written to the harddrive due to lack of space in RAM, this is significantly slower than ram and will mean that you are not running an optimal system.

From your figures it is clear that your system needs more ram due to the high number of page outs in comparison to page ins.

17. gorby macrumors 6502

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

19. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

I had that same model and upgraded it to 1.5 gb. I feel like that is the cut off for cost effective upgrades. Anymore and you start getting diminishing return for your money.

Plus the extra gig was very significant. I'd say it made Safari three to four times as snappy. :cool:

20. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I didn't. I bought it from Kingston... just waiting for it to arrive.