iMac G5 20" Rev.A vs iMac G5 20" Rev.B

cphoran81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
21
0
Help! After being a windows based computer user I am very very close to making the switch once and for all and buying an iMac G5 20" and am looking forward to it. I am planning on buying the computer off the Apple website using my student discount (especial now that you can get $179 off of an iPod) but just for kicks I have been looking on ebay and I have noticed that people are selling the iMac G5 20" Rev.A brand new for close to nothing ($1,000 to $1,200). I am just wondering if I should think about purchasing an iMac G5 Rev.A off ebay if it is brand new and being offered at the prices stated above? How much difference will I notice if I purchase Rev.A vs. the newest (Rev. B) version of the computer? I am planning on using my computer for everyday use such as surfing the internet, checking email, downloading music, storing photos, writting reports, watching movies, burning cds/dvds, and any other run of the mill task most people do in there day to day routine. Money is a little bit of an issue too so that is why I am asking. As always any and all feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
 

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
642
0
Wisconsin
They are also available on the Apple store as refurbs:

iMac G5 1.8GHz/ 256MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ 56K/ 20-inch - Apple Certified Refurbished Price: $1,399.00

I think there is a reason though. And that is: there were a ton of problems with the rev A G5 iMacs. There were quite a few threads about units sounding like an air conditioner, bad boards, etc...

They do seem like quite a deal though.
 

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
4,713
18
Russia
Get RevA. For 1000 $ or 1200 its a GREAT deal. In the apps you've stated it will fly (just add 1 GB of RAM to it ;))
 

topgunn

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2004
1,467
1,263
Houston
I would stay away from Rev A's on eBay. If you get one, get it direct from Apple since it will carry a one year warranty. The Rev A's are prone to have problems with the logic board due to bad capacitors. There are three big advatages to the newest iMacs; faster CPU, much better GPU and a much improved SATA controller. These three things will make the entire system markedly faster. My vote is for the Rev B iMac G5.
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
A good friend of mine just sent his Rev A 20" iMac G5 1.8 to the shop with a fried midplane board. Fortunately it's covered under warranty.

The technician told him that about 11% of each 500 Rev A's
sold are having problems.

The Rev B with the faster 2.0 GHz processor and the far better 128MB GPU is the way to go.

The graphics cards are permanently soldered in place so if you want the better GPU, you'll need to upgrade at time of purchase.
 

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
393
0
Everybody seemed very happy with their Rev A but now there seems to be many problems with them....

I don´t get it...
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Why do you think there are so many recommendations to
wait for Rev B?

Even with the best engineering on the planet, this kind of stuff happens when you rely on so many third party subcontractors
for individual parts.

These problems take a while to show up and it's a strong argument for buying AppleCare before your original warranty expires.

The iMac's AIO design makes this even more important.

You may be one of the 89% who never has a problem,
but with so many third party contractors, it's a crap shoot
these days.
 

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
393
0
Well, I ordered a 1.6 Rev A as my second computer from ebay. I haven´t received it yet and I hope it is nothing wrong with it. It does not come with the warranty but the seller said he would gurantee that it is in perfect shape when it arrives.

The seller seems to be reliable and honest but I wouldn´t have bought this now. I got it for 800 Euros with the delivery which isn´t so bad, but nonetheless, the risk is considerable.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
I say go for the iMac G5 20" Rev B.
why?
-faster cpu (2GHz vs 1.8GHz)
-faster fsb (667MHz vs 600MHz)
-faster video system w/ twice the amount of vram.
-less bugs (rev B)
-plus, I think they improved on the performance of the SATA HDs in the Rev B iMac G5s.
-its new (no wear & tear)
-etc...
 

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
997
0
Western Massachusetts
Your question implies that the Rev. B pricing is a choice that's within reach for you. I would go with it - and recommended to my dad to do the same when he called to ask advice about upgrading from his old Mac. I've spoken to him a few times since he got his new machine and he's very pleased with it.

I understand that on everything from issues with fans to capacitors, the Rev. B's addressed some problems that weren't universal, but were popping up from time-to-time. Also, the peace of mind of a new product from Apple is worth something. Finally, the Rev. B's are good value in and of themselves - they doubled the std. ram, improved the graphics and doubled the VRAM to 128 MB, speed bumped the processors and doubled the hard drive space all for the same list price as the Rev. As.

While you may do fine with the Rev. A (I agree with the poster above who recommends buying from the on-line Apple Refurb store if you go that route in order to get a 1 yr. product warranty), but for the reasons listed above, I would go with a brand-new Rev. B.

Good luck!
 

Runaway

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2005
20
0
Willy S said:
Everybody seemed very happy with their Rev A but now there seems to be many problems with them....

I don´t get it...
That's because it takes about 6 months for the capacitors to burst.
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
This is what happened to my friend.

His Rev A 1.8 20" was 6 months old.

Now he's hoping that Apple will allow him to
upgrade the logic board to a Rev B, even if he has to pay
extra to get it.

Buy the Rev B and purchase AppleCare before your warranty expires.
 

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
4,045
3,121
South Dakota, USA
Runaway said:
That's because it takes about 6 months for the capacitors to burst.
Burst? That sounds scary like a fire or explosion inside the case!!!

Anyhow I have a Rev. A and it is a good computer. If you can find a great deal there is nothing wrong with the Rev. A. If it is brand new just make sure it comes with the factory warranty. I have AppleCare on mine so I am not that worried, just worried about what will happen if it actually would "burst".
 

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
319
0
Interesting no one has mentioned BT2 + AirPort standard and Dual Layer SD.



and 512MB RAM standard.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,703
1
LaLaLand, CA
If you can afford it, get the new one with your student discount. The extra money is worth it. Since you sound like you are going with an new iPod as well, it isn't that much difference in price and you get so much more.
 

cphoran81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
21
0
I forgot to mention that the only reason I would consider getting the Rev A. instead of the Rev.B is because I saw it for 1000 on ebay. I thought about buying one off the apple website refurbished but for 1399 that seems to much when i can get a brand new one for 1699. Thanks for everyones help.Even though i would be saving some money on the Rev A. after reading everyones comments I am going to have to go with the Rev. B. once again this forum has really helped me with all my concerns with making the switch.
 

papersushi

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
149
0
Get the new Rev. B, besides the logic board fix, faster CPU and way better video card people mentioned above, loaded with doubled RAM, Doubel layered SuperDrive instead of single people already mentioned above, it also comes with AirPort Extreme Card and Bluetooth module installed.

The RAM and Harddrive upgrades, bluetooth and Airport card could have costed you 300-400 dollars. Now there is a $179 mailin rebate on iPod (Free iPod mini after rebate) deal PLUS your student discount, whatelse you need? To see, its a no brainer to get the Rev. B
 

Alter Ego

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2005
16
0
Australia
Abercrombieboy said:
Burst? That sounds scary like a fire or explosion inside the case!!!

Anyhow I have a Rev. A and it is a good computer. If you can find a great deal there is nothing wrong with the Rev. A. If it is brand new just make sure it comes with the factory warranty. I have AppleCare on mine so I am not that worried, just worried about what will happen if it actually would "burst".
hahaha - That's what I thought too. But it's not that scary. See the pictures here: http://www.oliver-kreuzenbeck.de/iMac_problems/iMac.html