Imac G5 20" ...trips

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by redhatcode29, Jan 3, 2016.

1. redhatcode29, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016

redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

guys, an imac G5 20", eyesight model.

Upon switching on the imac, it seems the ELCB of the electricity Supply in the house trips, which cuts off electricity power supply to the house.
    It also seems that the authorised apple ( OK an amendment, twas a 3rd party service provider - not apple authorised) tech had informed that it was an issue of the PSU of the imac.

Any of u guys have come across such issues?

2. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

I have the 17 inch iSight model and have never had a problem. Plugged into a power strip with in eMac and a MacBook Pro. Could it be a older wiring issue maybe? I don't know how much load a G5 iMac puts on start up. Someone else?

3. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Hi, thx for ur reply.

After not getting any views herein, i came across a few imacs with a similar issue. There too were suggetions of an old wiring issue.... But apparently it was not!

One had suggested a faulty psu, while another being clueless....

If it was the wiring issue, then the when the tech checked the G5, it should have been fine. But it was not.

I got hold of the G5 yesterday, did not dare boot it, fearing it would trip the elcb and me ending being the target of fury of my family who were asleep!

Tried b4 leaving for work today .... Now the G5 does not respond at all! Maybe the techs who inspected it has meddled with it !

The service sticker from 2013Is still intact.

So.... Now i have been left with the option of a psu failure or a dead logicboard.

Seriously .... I hv never come accross a dead Mac logicboard! So i dnt know how it would react.

Would a Mac with a dead logic-board still hv the fans spin ?

image.jpeg

4. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

No problem.

Yes with a dead logic board to my knowledge it can still have fans spinning to some degree.

I'm still gaining knowledge to the more technical side but from what I've heard it could be the logic board or capacitors maybe?

Was going to ask do you know if the AC cable was an Apple cable or aftermarket? Just a thought.

5. redhatcode29, Jan 4, 2016

redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Oh dear.... Not the caps or the logic board. I can still live with it if its the psu !

The G5 came with e original package, except for the remote and manuals...
    image.jpeg

So e Ac cable was e original, but when i tested it today morn, i used an original apple power cord of an imac g3.

6. appleish19, Jan 4, 2016

appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

That may be why it didn't turn on. I don't know if the iMac G3 cord is the same as the iMac G5 cord. Have you tried the cord that came with it again? If I didn't know if they were the same I wouldn't use the iMac G3 one.

Like I said from just being around here that's what it sounds like it might be.

I don't know for sure but if you hang around here you'll get some replies. There's some really good people around here for PowerPC macs. ;)

7. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29