iMac G5 2nd Gen Unresponsive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pixelpusher636, Sep 1, 2008.

1. pixelpusher636 macrumors newbie

I have a second Generation G5 (Ambient Light Sensor) that will no longer boot. Through researching on the web I think it's related to the video card/Logic Board (Not Capacitor Problems) as I have no screen at all and of coarse I get the fans blazing after the temp software cannot load. My biggest issue and also question is can I access the data with Target disk mode or any other way since NO keyboard commands work AT ALL? I do not have open firmware password enabled it's just another anomaly playing into this whole mess. I should also mention that I have access to a G5 intel. Please if anyone can help me with this problem I would be most grateful. Thanks in advance.

Also I have reset vram and mui?

2. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

The iMac at my brother's job does the same thing, only nothing happens at all, and it only turns on by itself occasionally. It's possible that the motherboard has malfunctioned, or there's a very bad part in the computer making it do that. Now you said that it turns on and only the fans activate? Because my Sawtooth used to do that also, until I used the small, gray reset button on the motherboard. I think I can help further if you PM me back.:)

3. pixelpusher636 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea how to PM. Usually it's fairly obvious but I don't see how. Also.. I don't think my iMac has the reset for MUI? on the motherboard. I think you just unplug all power sources for 30 seconds. Can you still help?

4. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

I wish I was there with you, so I can see if I can fix it myself, but try this:
    Remove the RAM and BOOT the computer. If it makes that BOOP sound, then the motherboard should be fine, but you have bad RAM. If it isn't the RAM, try unplugging all SATA/ATA devices or extra devices, like USB, FireWire, etc. devices. If that doesn't work, try with everything that I've stated unplugged, and then plug everything back in, and boot. If it STILL doesn't work, your motherboard may be severely damaged.:eek: Hit me back and let me know what happens, because I've tried this with my Sawtooth last December, and it worked.:cool::apple:

5. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

You may get more help if this was moved to the iMac discussion board.

As for the problem, that sounds like a dead CPU and or other hardware. You can phone Apple, but repair for g5s can be super expensive and often not worth it.