iMac G5 (ALS) Mini DVI- VGA adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by StokeLee, Jul 25, 2007.

1. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Im so confused, Ive looked around apples really confusing support pages, they seem to gravitate towards the newer models. IVE been on apples store pages, but I can not seem to find what im looking for.

Im pretty sure that when i looked an eon ago, there was a cable that was a mini dvi to VGA, but I cant find it, any help would be really appreciated. Im going to be connecting it to my samsung HDTV, which as a HDMI port on it, that also will recognise it a video signal from a DVI ( so i assume a dvi), but it also has a D-sub (VGA) port too.

2. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

The iMac G5 (I think all of them) have mini-VGA ports. These can be adapted to fit s-video and VGA out. Not DVI. If your hopes are to hook your iMac up via HDMI, there is absolutely positively no way. That said, I would assume your TV has a VGA port; which, in my experiences is not to shabby as lower resolutions.

Good luck.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

VGA to be quite honest is not too shabby at any resolution it's capable of. Even though it's not a digital signal, it's more than good enough for this.

Anyway, though, I have an ALS, and am confirming that you need mini-VGA to VGA. This cable. and a cable to run it to the D-Sub port on the TV.

4. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

mkrishnan,

thankyou, it was a while ago when i looked into this, and somewhere along the line i must of got confused and thought it was a mini dvi output that the iMac G5 (als) had. I was getting really frustrated trying to find the correct cable.

This cable Is perfect, off to buy one now. Thank you

Lee
    :D

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I had one of these already that came with my iBook, and then I spent some $29 on a 50' VGA cable and $13 on an 1/8" audio cable, and my ALS can easily connect to my HDTV whenever I want (I just leave the cable hanging through the little circle in the back of the stand and plug it in when I want it). :)

Note that the VGA cable DOES NOT carry audio. So you either want a separate 1/8" audio cable or you want to get a VGA cable that has an integrated separate 1/8" line (there are some around so that people can use them with projectors). You probably have a 1/8" audio port right next to the VGA port for this purpose.

6. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

i'm sorted for sound. Mini toshlink or whatever its called to my A/V receiver. Sounds mint. Just wanting to my tv to show my iMac, esp for shows ive recorded on eyetv, and my DVD's

7. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Just thought Id share my experience with my new cable, its fantastic. Picture quality is fantastic, and my iMac automatically tells me what my HDTV is.

Ive used the screen hack so that i can display more real estate, but how do I for example make quicktime display in Full screen on my second display, everytime i make it full screen and goes onto my iMac

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This varies from application to application. Here are the most common ones I can think of and what apps they apply to.

1) Will always go to the MAIN display, meaning the one that has the menubar on it. The only thing you can do is set the system up so the external is main when it's plugged in (Sys prefs -> Display -> Arrangment, drag the menu bar over to that screen in the picture). I believe iTunes works this way, although it may be way #2.

2) Will always go the display on which the window was. Personally, I find this most intuitive, but there aren't that many apps that do it. I believe that DivX player does. iTunes might.

3) Has a preference for this. I am pretty sure that Quicktime falls into this category. In QT's case, it's in the Full Screen preferences pane of the QT Player itself, but it's ONLY there if QT was launched after the external display was plugged in. However, I'm pretty sure you can set it and then it will automatically display on the internal display when the external is not available and the external when it is available.

For what it's worth, most of the #3 apps are also set up to do main display by default. So if you do set your external to be main / primary when available, most apps will be going to the external without additional config. :)