iMac G5 and logic board problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KristieClark, Dec 29, 2008.

1. KristieClark macrumors newbie

We purchased our iMac G5 on December 20, 2004. In 2006, the logic board went out and was replaced under the Apple Care warranty. This past summer, it started having problems again. I took it in and they told me it needed a new logic board, but after bringing it home, all was fine. Fast forward to last week when I turned it off and it never powered up again. I did the LED test and the 1st light turns on, but not the second.

I have an appointment at the Genius Bar on Wednesday, but I know they're going to tell me I need a new logic board and I'd be better off just buying a new machine. I don't want a new machine. Or, I don't want to PAY for a new machine. Why would a logic board need replaced 2 times in 2 years?

So, thoughts? What recourse, if any do I have? Am I out of line in thinking that replacing a logic board twice is an Apple problem and not my problem?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I don't think you are out of line in thinking that. The G5s were notoriously dodgy, especially the iMacs. Maybe try speaking to a manager and see what they can do for you, if you are nice and say that you've been a loyal apple customer then they might let you have it replaced for free. Some people have had things repaired out of warranty this way.

Good luck with it.

3. Burt013 macrumors newbie

3 yr old imac g5 logic board

Purchased my imac g5 in dec 2005, just about a month before the Intel based imac's wentn sale. Almost 3 yrs to the day, I find out the logic board is bad and it's $900+ to repair it. The imac has never been moved, except to clean the desk area around it, it's always been in a very temp & humidty controlled environment and has not been bumped or treated even remotely harshly. Needless to say I'm not very pleased; I expected Apple products to have a longer than 3 yr life expectancy without a major component failure such as this. I can understand hard drives and memory and even a video card failing within 3-5 years. But for a logic board to fail... I have a Windows desktop and Dell laptop from 2001 that are still running, albeit slowley, and I haven't added or replaced a single component.

4. KristieClark thread starter macrumors newbie

Burt--what did Apple say when you contacted them? Did you push them at all, bring up the G5 recalls, etc? Just trying to figure out my best course of action.

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Crap this is making me think mines gunna die soon and i dont have apple care :(