Resolved iMac G5 As Mobile Device

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by robertdsc, Oct 16, 2014.

1. robertdsc, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

In thumbing though many Craigslist ads, I've stumbled upon a couple of ads for iMac G5s that need a little bit of TLC to get going again. While contemplating ideas on whether to purchase or not, I hit upon an idea. At my workplace, we have wi-fi inside the building that I have access to. If I were to pick up one of these iMacs and use it as a mobile device in place of a laptop, what kind of pluses or minuses do would one see?

Aside from the weight and size factor,s which I would have to find some kind of case, or build some kind of container for, would the iMac be suitable for this kind of mobile use? I'd be bringing it into the office up to four days a week for several hours at a time.

Ideas? Thoughts? This would be an inexpensive option ($50 or so) to PowerBooks or older MacBooks that I have trouble finding at the right price.

I've taken a couple of iMac G5s apart back in 2013 and that is the outer edge of my mechanical prowess, so upgrades are possible, but things get a little dicey after that if strong repairs are needed.

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

hahahahahahaahhahahaaaa hell no no no no way at all
    just no.

you'd be looking like a freak by carrying a huge and heavy desktop computer around.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Get a PowerBook or MacBook. You would quickly regret carrying around that iMac.

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

You can probably find PowerBooks or iBooks for a similar price if you look around. It would be 10x better than lugging a desktop around. eBay occasionally has PPC laptops at good prices.

5. robertdsc thread starter macrumors regular

robertdsc

I decided against getting the iMac and will save up for a PowerBook or MacBook.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Lean toward the MacBook; MacBooks use Intel and can do more (newer stuff) than PPC.

7. n0cus, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

n0cus macrumors 6502

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Hauling the computer around wouldn't be fun (the lightest iMac G5 was almost 16lbs) but it wouldn't be hard to hoist it under your arm and walk around with it. The part that would really make it annoying would be trying to carry around the keyboard and mouse too. Aside from looking like a goofball walking around with it, it just wouldn't be any better than grabbing a used notebook Mac.

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Not too long ago, I paid $140 for a used mid-2009(white) Macbook.

Although it's a bit dated, it's faster than my best PPC Mac(dual core G5 tower) for day-to-day stuff like web browsing and MS Office Work. The G5 beats it in Photoshop, but I suspect that due to the G5 having 2.5 times the amount of memory.

There really is very little current software that won't run on the Macbook(I've been running OS Yosemite Public Beta for 6 weeks, and installed the "retail" release yesterday when it came out).

I love PPC Macs, and in fact am typing this post from a recently acquired late 2005 15" Powerbook(aka the A1138 DLSD-HR Powerbook). I actually paid more for the Powerbook than I did for the Macbook. If I were forced to only have one computer, however, it certainly would not be one of my PPC Macs.

10. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Eh...no

Not to sound pessimistic, but this isn't gonna be effective, practical, or worth-it. It will be a chore... In fact, is this serious? Not only are iMac G5s horribly unreliable as they are, but a mobile iMac? You could pick up an old laptop that would serve you better. Try a later iBook G4 or early MacBook.

11. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I think it's a great idea!

If it doesn't kill you.....you will be in the best shape of your life!

12. weckart macrumors 68040

Why not?

Attached Files: