Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertdsc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
In thumbing though many Craigslist ads, I've stumbled upon a couple of ads for iMac G5s that need a little bit of TLC to get going again. While contemplating ideas on whether to purchase or not, I hit upon an idea. At my workplace, we have wi-fi inside the building that I have access to. If I were to pick up one of these iMacs and use it as a mobile device in place of a laptop, what kind of pluses or minuses do would one see?

Aside from the weight and size factor,s which I would have to find some kind of case, or build some kind of container for, would the iMac be suitable for this kind of mobile use? I'd be bringing it into the office up to four days a week for several hours at a time.

Ideas? Thoughts? This would be an inexpensive option ($50 or so) to PowerBooks or older MacBooks that I have trouble finding at the right price.

I've taken a couple of iMac G5s apart back in 2013 and that is the outer edge of my mechanical prowess, so upgrades are possible, but things get a little dicey after that if strong repairs are needed.

Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
hahahahahahaahhahahaaaa hell no no no no way at all
just no.

you'd be looking like a freak by carrying a huge and heavy desktop computer around.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
In thumbing though many Craigslist ads, I've stumbled upon a couple of ads for iMac G5s that need a little bit of TLC to get going again. While contemplating ideas on whether to purchase or not, I hit upon an idea. At my workplace, we have wi-fi inside the building that I have access to. If I were to pick up one of these iMacs and use it as a mobile device in place of a laptop, what kind of pluses or minuses do would one see?

Aside from the weight and size factor,s which I would have to find some kind of case, or build some kind of container for, would the iMac be suitable for this kind of mobile use? I'd be bringing it into the office up to four days a week for several hours at a time.

Ideas? Thoughts? This would be an inexpensive option ($50 or so) to PowerBooks or older MacBooks that I have trouble finding at the right price.

I've taken a couple of iMac G5s apart back in 2013 and that is the outer edge of my mechanical prowess, so upgrades are possible, but things get a little dicey after that if strong repairs are needed.

Get a PowerBook or MacBook. You would quickly regret carrying around that iMac.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
You can probably find PowerBooks or iBooks for a similar price if you look around. It would be 10x better than lugging a desktop around. eBay occasionally has PPC laptops at good prices.

robertdsc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
I decided against getting the iMac and will save up for a PowerBook or MacBook.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Hauling the computer around wouldn't be fun (the lightest iMac G5 was almost 16lbs) but it wouldn't be hard to hoist it under your arm and walk around with it. The part that would really make it annoying would be trying to carry around the keyboard and mouse too. Aside from looking like a goofball walking around with it, it just wouldn't be any better than grabbing a used notebook Mac.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Not too long ago, I paid $140 for a used mid-2009(white) Macbook.

Although it's a bit dated, it's faster than my best PPC Mac(dual core G5 tower) for day-to-day stuff like web browsing and MS Office Work. The G5 beats it in Photoshop, but I suspect that due to the G5 having 2.5 times the amount of memory.

There really is very little current software that won't run on the Macbook(I've been running OS Yosemite Public Beta for 6 weeks, and installed the "retail" release yesterday when it came out).

I love PPC Macs, and in fact am typing this post from a recently acquired late 2005 15" Powerbook(aka the A1138 DLSD-HR Powerbook). I actually paid more for the Powerbook than I did for the Macbook. If I were forced to only have one computer, however, it certainly would not be one of my PPC Macs.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Eh...no

Not to sound pessimistic, but this isn't gonna be effective, practical, or worth-it. It will be a chore... In fact, is this serious? Not only are iMac G5s horribly unreliable as they are, but a mobile iMac? You could pick up an old laptop that would serve you better. Try a later iBook G4 or early MacBook.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Why not?

Attachments

• coffee1.png
    coffee1.png
    500.6 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 96
  • dell.png
    dell.png
    375.2 KB · Views: 412
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.