iMac G5 Backlight Inverter Trouble.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scott:mac, Mar 19, 2009.

1. scott:mac macrumors regular

I have been asked to take a quick look at my pals "broken" iMac G5.
    This iMac..
    [​IMG]

The problem..
    The mac is running phsyically, But the screen is black, As if it were not on..
    Being a long mac user, I immediately reached for my torch, Shined it onto the screen annd immediately diagnosed the problem, A bust Power Backlight Inverter.

This is what i need
    [​IMG]

Just wandering how I would go about obtaining one of these, I have phoned Apple Support, They reffered me to a nearby Retailer, But no luck they have none and do not recognise the item.

Thankyou.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

You can't get any repair parts directly from Apple. Plus, you don't want to even if they did cause it would be too pricey.

After that, most of the time that backlight problem is the inverter board, but some times it can be the logic board itself.

Also, depending on which iMac G5 it is, they did have recalls on power supplys/MLB's with bloating capacitors so they could possibly/maybe/potentially be related.

Either way, it should be pretty cheap to get an inverter board, and that iSightless iMac is super easy to take apart so that's an easy experiment.

WeLoveMacs is a great place, but can sometimes be more expensive depending on new/used parts. Take the info you find from there to search other places, although others might not be as reliable as WLM has been for me in the past other than the occasional DOA part which they have been easy about replacing.

4. scott:mac thread starter macrumors regular

The G5 is a ALS Model.

I must add I am in the UK.

Does WLM supply cross ocean?
    Or is it a worldwide site?

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Go check it out. I know they have a country list on their checkout which lists, amongst others, the UK. Hopefully those aren't all listed just to tell you "NO" once you complete the checkout.