iMac G5 Blue Screen frozen

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Remorse, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Remorse macrumors newbie

Well I got given a second hand iMac to try and sort out for a family that I know who brought it second hand.

It came with no install disks and no admin password.

At first it logged on perfectly but like I said the guy they brought it from forgot the Admin password and hadn't used it for sometime so I looked on google and found a way to reset the pasword & account or what not.

So I used the single user mode to try and reset the admin password I tried a few different things but nothing seamed to work.

Then I was in the middle of something and the iMac just turned off randomly while in the user menu. When I tried to reboot it gets stuck on the blue screen with mouse but its different from every other blue screen that people get.

It loads the grey box apple screen then it goes into a blue screen and a apple grey box pops up for about 3 seconds with the Mac OS X screen then it goes into the blue screen like this :

[​IMG]

I can move the mouse and the box around but thats as far as it gets.

It just goes to a darker screen after 10 seconds then the iMac goes to sleep.

Things ive tried:

- Opened the back resistors look fine
    - Tried to use a downloaded Panther iso it recognises it then a no go logo appears
    -Tried most commands in the single user
    - Reset the pram ect.

its a PowerPc iMac G5 running Panther on 10.3.9 i think...

When I boot into the single user mode (cmd + S) this is what it says sorry about long text, i missing the top info copyright stuff btw.

Code:

using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
    AppleKauaiATA shasta-ata features enabled
    DART enabled
    MacRISC4CPU: publishing BootCPU
    Local FireWire GUID = 0x1124ff :0xfe331162
    Security auditing service present
    BSM auditing present
    From path: "/ht/pci@3/k2-sata-root/k2-sata@0/disk@0:3,/mach_kernel", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOPathMatch</key><string ID="1">IODeviceTree:/ht/pci@03/k2-sata-root/k2-sata@0/@0:3</string></dict>
    AppleSMU -- shutdown cause = 3
    Got boot device = IOService:/MacRISC4PE/ht@0,f20000000/AppleMacRiscHT/pci@3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/k2-sata-root@C/AppleK2SARoot/k2-sata@0/AppleK2SATA/ATADeviceNub@0/I0ATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/ST380013AS Media/IOApplePartitionScheme/Untitled@03
    BSD root: disk0s3, major 14, minor 2
    jnl: replay_journal:from: 6627328 to: 2571264 (joffset 0x8601000)
    Mar 14 13:40:22 GMT 2013
    Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
    Root device is mounted read-only
    If you want to make modifications to files, 
    run 'sbin/fsck -y' first an then '/sbin/mount -uw /'
    localhost:/ root #

Any help would be much appreciated :)

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you hold Command and V keys at startup, where does it stop, it's verbose mode.

3. Remorse thread starter macrumors newbie

Code:
    March 14 15:06:15 ........firewire something....
    Starting Virtual Memory 

It runs through too fast but thats the last thing its says then goes back to the screenshot I posted

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I reread your first post and you say:

What did you do, did you remove the AppleSetupDone or reset password, if so it's probably hard to recover from this and you need some kind of installer to get out of this situation.

5. Remorse thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried both the password reset wouldn't work but the AppleSetupDone command did.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I saw more posts here people removing/deleting that file and got stuck, the problem is that there is no user to login now, it does not seem to work or not work well.

The way out here is probably a reinstall, if I were you I would just get it on the net if I were you.

7. Remorse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly what I was thinking, so would I have to buy a CD and could I just buy a 10.5 Leopard Disk and use that?

Because I tried to download a Panther disk and use that but like I said it wont work it comes up with a like no go logo.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

All iMacs can run 10.5, now, you know it is illegal to get yourself a copy of the net and I am not supposed to say you should but I can say this, if you buy a disk, and they are expensive, and it's not working you waste money.

The minimum is 10.3.5 dependable on the model, if your Panther is an earlier version like a retail 10.3 disk it won't work.

9. Remorse thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but I have the panther serial number so couldn't I just get a copy on internet of Panther and use my serial?

Accept all the disks I've tried wont work :/

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

OS X does not need a serial.:p

Bold, What do you mean, which disks.

11. Remorse thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha that would explain it then... looks like ill have to buy a new disk -.-

And the ones I have 'illegally downloaded' and burnt onto a DVD

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Get yourself a copy of 10.5 and try again;);););)

13. Remorse thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill try :) Thanks for your help anyways