iMac G5 bootup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Burgess07, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Burgess07 macrumors regular

Burgess07

I have the iMac G5 with iSight with stock 512MB RAM. Not too long ago it would boot in about 26 seconds and now it's up to 50 seconds. In between that time I installed Microsoft office 2004 and added some music. I still have about 190GB of free disk space and have no startup items. It takes about 18 seconds to get to the grey apple logo(about 10 seconds until the loading circle appears) and then sits there until about 45 seconds. The blue bar goes fast and my desktop loads fast. It's just getting to and past the apple logo that sluggish.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Repairing the disk using Disk Utility might help. Have you done any OS updates since you saw the increase in start time?

3. Burgess07 thread starter macrumors regular

Burgess07

well I bought my mac off ebay this past January and it came with Tiger install discs for 10.4.2 and at this time the current version was 10.4.8 I believe. And i reinstalled it(OS) in January. So just basic updates till now(10.4.9). I've tried disk utility and it says that it is fine.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I found an article on Macfixit that addresses slow boot times in Mac OS X, you might see if that resolves it.