iMac G5 - can it cope with 1080i HDV editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jdavtz, Mar 11, 2008.

1. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I have a 20" iMac G5 2GHz/2GB and I'm thinking about maybe buying a Canon HV20 for a couple of upcoming holidays. I'm completely new to the whole video thing.

What I'm unsure of is whether my computer will cope well/at all with doing basic editing (iMovie 6/8?) or displaying the files. I know the display won't fit 1080i video completely, and it certainly can't cope with H.264 1080p decoding, but what about the HDV (that's MPEG2 isn't it?) stuff that comes out of a tape-based camera? Can I play around with that, or will my computer specs be realistically limiting me to SD video?

Thanks for any advice,
    Jonathan.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

it'll be slow, even the faster intel systems have a bit of trouble playing it, and edited will be very very slow

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I edit 1080i/60 from a Canon HV20 on my iMac G5. It's slow, but bearable - you can mess around with your real-time preview settings a bit to speed things up. Although I confess I'm saving up for a Mac Pro next year.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Realistically how much video will you shoot? If you are only using the camera on vacation a couple times a year you will have at most a few hours of footage per year to edit. You can put up with a slow system for that. But if you were editing video frequently you go nuts.

Why not try a test. Pull some video off the net and have Quicktime Pro re-scale it to 1080i then play with it on your G5.

One other thing to think about: How will you look at the 1080i video? You can't fit it one youe iMac scarren. Do you have a Blueray disc burner? Will Apple TV do 1080i?