Imac G5 CD Tray / Harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UnitedRed, Aug 28, 2008.

1. UnitedRed macrumors member

My G5 cd slot has been acting up lately but now its a nightmare trying to play/burn cds. I think something has been moved inside but I can't see into it to find out what.

When I put a disc in the imac just keeps trying to reject the cd but then gets stuck trying to eject then keeps going back and forth again, earlier today it took me 10 minutes for it to accept a cd.
    Everytime I have to try and push the cd in with some tweezers or it will just try spitting it back out, if I want to eject the disc then I have to slide a bit of paper down the side to make it smoother. I've tried other types of discs too but it is always the same problems.

Even when I do have the disc in a lot of the times when i'm burning something onto it with Toast, it'll crash and say some hardware failure message. I've had to waste a lot of cds and dvds doing this.

There isn't an apple store near me so I can't take it there, any ideas what is wrong?
    thanks!

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

1. Do you have applecare?

(if you have applecare) 2. Have you called apple? If you don't live within a reasonable distance to a store they will send a tech to your house or business to do the repair.

3. Would you be comfortable taking the computer apart?

3. UnitedRed thread starter macrumors member

no I don't have the applecare.
    I guess I could take it apart but I wouldn't have a clue where to start

4. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

you could start by unplugging the cables behind the cdrom, and plugging them back in. if that doesn't help, then you might need to buy the replacement.