Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDawgES

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2003
Hello,

I experienced this bug in a previous (revision a) iMac G5 and dismissed it as isolated, but then this happened to the brand new iMac G5 1.8 GHz 17in. my sister just purchased.

She ejected her iPod in the finder, waited 8 seconds (as I've instructed her, yank it too quickly and it might give the "improperly ejected" message), and then disconnected the iPod from the firewire cord. The iMac went black--shut down. After pressing the power button a few times, it restarted. She went downstairs while it restarted, and when she returned it was off again. This time the machine restarted correctly.

This exact chain of events happened twice.

For what it's worth, my other experience with this:
It was with a Rev.A iMac G5 and a firewire harddrive (OWC). After it happened again and again, the iMac eventually stopped restarting at all. (after a few hours, it eventually restarted, and we stopped trying to connect the hard drive)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Ethan

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
I had my external FW hard drive vanish on me last night .. re-appeared after power off/on of the drive.

I've read about some firewire bugs in Tiger, maybe it's the OS to blame and not hardware.

Adam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.