iMac G5 + eyesight. Can't boot!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TejadaAlex, Dec 27, 2011.

1. TejadaAlex macrumors newbie

Hello My Name is Alex, I was recently given this iMac G5 with eyesight the person gave me no details on what happened to it but all I know is that the HDD is wiped clean and I can't boot up any of my disks.
    when you turn on the computer the screen shows Vertical Lines
    I have tried Both Holding down Opt Key to get the Boot menu (Shows no HDD but it shows the Boot CD, it ends up on a endless load of the Prohibition sign that replaces the boot apple)
    I have also tried Holding down C to boot from cd, No luck takes me too a icon with the World on it then switches to a folder flashing a question mark..

I Have No idea what to do...
    Im thinking of buying a whole new OS 10.5 Leopard to install but I don't want to waste money then turning out thats least of the problem!
    I wanted to call apple but you also need to purchase something so they can help you. and I am 100% sure they will ask me if I have a Legit Boot Cd of Leopard

(No I have not downloaded any torrents with the software, but I have been given copies of friends Boot Cd's Both 10.4 and 10.5 none working on this computer)

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

There's many problems with the capacitors with the iMac. But since you mentioned you have lines in the screen probably means the GPU is faulty so you will need a new logic board since it's integrated.

3. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Are your friend's boot cds from an iMac or another model Mac? (Or, are they retail disks?)

If they're Retail or iMac, then they should work. If they're for a PowerBook...or other machine, that is the problem right there.

4. TejadaAlex thread starter macrumors newbie

Well The Lines Disappear when I insert the cd.... it shows up I click on it (10.4 disk)
    Starts loading apple sign, then Gray Prohibit sign.

one of them says its not compatible ( I got it to boot finally but then it said it was not compatible thats when I noticed that cd was bad)

but the other loads and gives me the sign that replaces the apple and the fans stay on highspeed and you have to manually shut it down. (prohibition)

Could it just be the cd's?
    is there anyway I can test anything before going and buying some 10.5 Leopard...
    Cause i see "OrangeSVTguy" said "GPU is faulty so you will need a new logic board since it's integrated." if thats the case.... I'd rather buy a newer model off ebay....or craigslist...

5. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

Ok, from what i can tell, you have either a 17 or a 20 inch iMac G5 with built in isight. The minimum OS that they can boot from is 10.4.2 and if you don't have the OEM specific disks, then you may want to try the generic install disks (the ones with the funky X on them and the starry night background).

As for the lines on the screen, that sounds like a capacitor problem. Best bet would be to pull off the back of the iMac and inspect the capacitors for leakage or bulging caps. Once these are replaced, the video issue should be rectified.
    *Also, take apart the PSU and check the caps in that too*
    I had an iMac G5 come in for repair once and over 20 caps were blown including the PSU caps.

*iMac G5 17" Model A1144 Logic Board*

*iMac G5 20" Model A1145 Logic board *

6. TejadaAlex thread starter macrumors newbie

@reddragon Haha at the Cd Description
    I have the 17" forgot to mention that....
    and I opened it up just now and all Caps Seem fine none seem to be bulging what confuses me is that they instantly leave once the apple screen starts... only come on when I hold C or Option at startup...(those are the lines of course). Ehh...

Im gonna go for a 10.5 Leopard Disk off Ebay..... and try it out.. WIll check back in when it arrives!

But thank-you to those that helped me!.... if this doesn't work atleast I have the disk for my other Macs:apple:.... just in case!:cool:

7. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

What's your serial number?

W8**** something....

If so, then it's more of an issue than you think. From the Apple forums, it's an LCD issue and then it gets worse to a video card issue. And alot and i mean ALOT of people are bi*****g because most Apple stores will not address this issue. He**, even Apple is trying to ignore this. From what i can tell, either the LCD PCB or data ribbon cable is giving out. And if this is left alone, some users have said that it affects the whole machine. My best bet, contact a local Apple store and "push" for this issue to be fixed.