iMac G5 failing to recognize new hdd, only black screen.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by John-boy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. John-boy macrumors newbie

I have an rev. A iMac G5 that was purchased in January of 2005. The applecare has long expired. However, in May of 2008 due to factory defect Apple replaced the logic board, power supply and super drive (http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/). In December 2008 after experiencing problems with my hard drive I took my computer to the apple store. There they said it was dying and it would be cheaper to replace it myself. After purchasing a seagate hdd (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148288) my computer won't recognize it. It stays at the black screen while the power light glows. After a few minutes the fans kick in at full force. I tested the hdd in another iMac G5 rev. B and it works fine. Any ideas on what the problem is or how to resolve it?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Check to make sure your ram is seated correctly. Ram will give you lots of weird issues.

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

As I don't know the state of the drive I will say the obvious,

As it's a new drive, have you formatted it correctly?

If it's a case of new drive in, turn on, black screen... try loading your install discs to see if the computer will boot of that.

If that doesn't work, I think it could be bad seated ram as mentioned. Tried zapping your PRam?

4. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

As suggested above, reset the PRAM. Also the PSU. Can you boot off of the reinstall disks?

5. John-boy thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved... for now.

Okay i took it to the apple store and they said the logic board, that was just replaced about 8 months ago by them, had a busted capacitor and had to be replaced... again. So after the initial wait of about a week the called and said that the hard drive heat monitor cable had been damaged and that had to be ordered and replaced, so another 3-4 days for that. Now they just called again and said that the problem was not just the logic board but also the video cable and on this model (pre isight, rev. a iMac G5) it is attached to the lcd display so that now has to be replaced meaning another week or so wait from when they get the part in. Obviously i realize that im not really in any position to complain since they are going to cover all of it but isn't two logic board replacements (about $900.00 each) and the hard drive cable and now the whole display a little ridiculous. They could have just given me a new imac already, hell I'm probably up to the bottom level mac pro by now with the amount of money they've put into it. Anyway im sure no was wondering but i thought I'd put an update out there and thank everyone for their help.