iMac G5 fan controls...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AppleMan101, Apr 30, 2007.

1. AppleMan101 macrumors regular

I was wondering whether anybody knew how I could (easily?) up the speed of my fans.
    ATM I see speeds of:
    -- CPU 4400 RPM
    -- System 1700 RPM
    -- HDD 2300 RPM

Temps of
    -- CPU 75'C / 167'F
    -- HDD 48'C / 118'F

and load values between 1 and 2.

I dont mind about more noise i just want a cooler comp and I'm fed up of having to open the windows very late at night jus to cool the bugger down...any ideas?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And those are for Intel...

Hence why I have not made a post in this thread.

3. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

iMac G5 thermal is control by software drivers which are tied to the CPU speed. Change the prefs under energy saver in the system prefs, or otherwise you can alter the driver values which is sort of risky.

4. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I guess I'm lucky only having a 1.8 Ghz G5. My highest temp is around 162F. Idles after use at around 155-160, depending on load.

The worst part about this whole thing isn't that the fans are running, I could care less what speed the run at, but the CPU fan on G5 iMacs have an awesome feature called Fan Whine (R), which gets worse and worse as the fans ramp up. THis feature is enabled from cold boot.

The best thing I've done to cool mine off was place very cold things under the CPU fan intake, works great.

I;m just looking for a tool to let ME take control of my fans, so after I'm done with CPU heavy operations, I can cool my CPU down, rather then just let it sit at 157 degrees all the time.