iMac G5+Fedora+OCZ Agility 4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rabidz7, Mar 4, 2013.

1. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

My iMac hdd and superdrive died a few months ago. I took out the old drive and installed a SATA 3 OCZ Agility 4 120GB in a drive sled, this installed OS X BUT could not boot. I tried a SATA 3 1 TB WD black drive and it could not be detected at all. I then tried a 500GB SATA 2 Seagate barracuda HDD and it could not boot. Only the barracuda worked in my power mac. I am now suspecting this is an OS X issue, so I will try to install fedora on the OCZ Agility. Because the superdrive cannot eject DVDs I will have to install fedora from a usb drive or have no back cover on the iMac and have the superdrive taped shut.

Will fedora work on the SSD? If not, what are some drives that will?
    How do I boot from a USB holding the yaboot linux boot loader.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The problem could also be with the iMac's SATA controller. Most SATA III and some SATA II drives don't work in G5's unless they are set to their respective lower SATA mode. SATA III drives need to be in SATA II mode and SATA II drives need to be in SATA I mode.

3. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

How do I put SSDs in SATA II mode, ist there et jumper? (Sorry, had to use old english)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some have a jumper, most don't. You'll have to read the manual that came with your SSD.