Imac g5 having issues

CheeseBread365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
I got a free imac g5 listed as broken, and I was pretty sure it was just hard drive falure. So I replaced the hard drive and inserted a mac os x install cd. And I get a error saying invalid memory access at then a bunch of numbers.

I contacted the guy who sold it to me, and he said he got it at a yard sale, broken

I don't know what the problem is.

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
I got a free imac g5 listed as broken, and I was pretty sure it was just hard drive falure. So I replaced the hard drive and inserted a mac os x install cd. And I get a error saying invalid memory access at then a bunch of numbers.

I contacted the guy who sold it to me, and he said he got it at a yard sale, broken

I don't know what the problem is.
Could be RAM? Try removing the modules and replace with known working RAM.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I have discovered what the issue was. It was 5 blown capacitors on the mainboard
That was a common problem with the iMac G5. Among other issues.

Mine had the capacitor issue. The power supply issue. And the screen issues. It was in the shop at least 5 times in its first 3 months. I sold it immediately after the last repair I had done on it. I didn't want to get stuck with a lemon after the warranty expired. Because Apple wasn't putting better parts in yet. They were just shuffling the same production parts around. It took them a while to eventually admit that there were design issues and manufacturing defects.

If you know someone handy with soldering irons, replacing the capacitors is an option since it's well past its warranty. Capacitors are very cheap.

I used to do that kind of work. But you'll obviously want someone local since the machine isn't worth the cost of shipping.

If you decide to just switch out the logic board, then you'll want to read up on the old posts that discussed what the markings on the bad capacitor design looked like, compared to the capacitors that didn't have manufacturing defects.