iMac G5 HD failure...help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mpilling, May 23, 2009.

1. Mpilling macrumors newbie

Installed iTunes update recently, restarted and now my iMac g5 nolonger works. Mac genius told me that I have to replace HD as a section must have been corrupt. Has anyone had this problem? Is HD replacement my only option?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Can you boot from your install CD to check your hard drive?

Do you just get the blinking ? at startup?

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

When you say "no longer works", can you be more specific? I.e. is it giving you any error messages, does it start up, etc etc? Replacing the hard drive isn't hard, you can easily do it yourself.

4. Mpilling thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response! When booting up it would get stuck for hours with the status at 100%. I tried booting from cd, safe mode, dumping the ram, literally everything and nothing worked. Apple customer service tried to help but ended up sending me to the apple store nearby. There, the genius did some sort of a disk repair which didn't work eiter and he told me that it was an HD problem which requires replacement. I haven't decided what to do yet. Also, ever since i took it to the genius, it doesn't Gen get to the status bar, it gets to the grey logo screen, stays there for 30 seconds and turns itself off.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I never heard of a Mac shutting itself off after a hard drive dies? Sounds like it could be something else like the Power supply since those are known to fail quite a bit on the iMac G5's.

Have you tried a PRAM reset?

6. Mpilling thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502