Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aldon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
So my brother connected my cable box to my computer yesterday to record the superbowl. Anyways, I need to disconnect it and put it where it belongs. The only problem is that he says it will kernelpanick if I try. So what do I do? It's just a comcast dvr cable box connected to my iMac with through firewire.

MSD401

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
uhhm how would that even be able to record... arnt the usb ports on most cable company dvrs dead?.....and why would disconnecting cause a kernal pain/:confused:

if the drive inside the dvr is mounted in finder just eject is shut down the imac and move it... would be my guess...

Aldon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Well, it already Kernel panicked twice now. Once while simply plugging in my ipod, and again after restarting. I just want this thing disconnected from my imac

MSD401

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
well your best bet would be to talk to your brother and find out if he messed with something to get it connected to the box....which to my knowledge he must have..because im pretty sure comcast locks down those boxes pretty good....

backing up your data at this point might be a good idea.....too

JNB

macrumors 604
OK, it's not the "cable box" itself that's the issue. What is he using as a tuner? It sounds like an EyeTV or some such. Is there a little dongle that connects to the Mac, and then to the cable itself? Or are you connecting to a DVR of some sort? You have to be more specific here.

Really doesn't matter. Just unplug the thing, and tell him to uninstall whatever junk he put on your Mac. If there's any relation to the kernel panics, it's because it is plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.