Imac G5 /intel display problem. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bangkoker, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Bangkoker macrumors newbie

Hello all, couple of problems (makes its sound quite straightforward.)

Ok to summarise I have a G5 last of the non Intel 20" model, bought secondhand out of warranty. It had a lot of use and was a great machine but just died, after taking to Apple shop it would appear to be the dreaded logic board.

Anyway, situation is, I have access to a iMac G5 intel 20" with a broken screen. Myself and a friend were hoping that the Intel G5" would be able to recover from it's broken screen by using my 20" screen and then left over parts could be recycled to Imac users needing parts..

At first this seem to be quite a viable option, it appears though it is not as straight forward as that. Although both 20" screens appear to have changed manufacturer (that didn't seem to be a problem as all connectors, ie 2 clip in on left of monitor (top and bottom) and centre connector seemed to be identical)).

Anyway to cut a long story a bit shorter, it has not got any better. Tried to do a straight swap.. working Monitor would do nothing with working Intel machine and vice versa..

tried swapping centre cable from machine to machine: no help.

swapped all back, Intel machine still boots with broken monitor (bit not useable as can only see top few inches of screen).. and other G5 will not boot etc as Logic board problem... it seems so close yet so far... between the two machines it seemed very likely we could get one good machine and lots of parts..

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to connect the two machines so that the machine with no logicboard problem can display on machine with logic problem...

Thanks in anticipation

2. Vanyasteen macrumors newbie

This should work, but I'm not an AASP. Did you hear the startup chime when you tried to boot the intel Mac with the unbroken screen installed?

3. Bangkoker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, for quick reply. Yes, the chime sounded but the non broken screen remained completely black as if it was receiving no power at all. Although it is fine on the machine with broken logic board. It is also the case that the broken screen will not work display on the other machine, whereas when on the Intel machine it is clearly working (the first inch or two at top is a nice bright blue and can see the top of the login box).

It is very strange. I was wondering if there is anyway to 'firewire' them. I know when my Mac frist broke I was able to access my hard drive with my friends MacBook but I am assuming as the logicboard problem machine won't boot and I can't operate the broken machine due to operating blind, this could be rather tricky :D

Any ideas would be great.

4. Vanyasteen macrumors newbie

I'm thinking you might not be getting power to the backlight of the unbroken display.

5. Bangkoker thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds possible but alas I am not sure why or how to resolve it.

6. Vanyasteen macrumors newbie

The inverter connectors are keyed on the Intel macs; the dot side should face up.

7. Bangkoker thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, double checked that the connectors are in the right way: They are.

I have just taken out the battery from the Imac (Intel) as I am now grasping at straws and am wondering if it knows it is a different monitor.. I am hoping if I start it up again it will recofigurate correctly.. I must admit it does seem rather strange.. so close yet so far.. does anyone know if I can externally link the machines to use the broken imac purely as a Monitor? If not my only alternative would be to get and external monitor and strip everything else for parts.. it seems such a waste to have a 20" imac with an external monitor though... :confused::apple:

Any help appreciated