iMac G5 internal memory - replaceable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by myuserid08, Sep 16, 2010.

1. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I have an old iMac G5 (2006 I think, has the standard desktop ram slots at the bottom rather than laptop (x1)) - the memory failed a while back so I used the "user serviceable" slot at the bottom.
    The screen has a crack which I'm in the process of replacing - at the same time I thought I would see if the internal memory is replaceable.

I'm currently looking at the logic board front but cannot see the memory slots or soldered memory (must be on the other side).

So does anyone know if the memory is soldered or not (would save me removing the logic board if it is!).

Thanks

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Dead easy! Just lay machine on its face (use a soft cloth to avoid damage) undo the three captive Phillips screws on the bottom face and the back will lift off exposing the two RAM slots.

3. legendlcox macrumors newbie

He already has it apart, he can see the logic board, but can't get to the back of it, it's hard to remember where all the screws go. I've got the same problem and the slot doesn't work either, or maybe whatever happened to the internal ram happened to the replaceable, in my case, or the logic ram controller thing or something of the sort was fried.

4. legendlcox macrumors newbie

Okay, I just got back from taking mine apart, The memory is soldered strait to the board.