Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Leeds, UK
How much use is a 2.1GHz G5 iMac these days?

Bought one at the weekend on impulse, but wondered what limitations they have?

I suspect it's probably too slow to be usable these days?

How much use is a 2.1GHz G5 iMac these days?

Bought one at the weekend on impulse, but wondered what limitations they have?

I suspect it's probably too slow to be usable these days?

That is one of the faster iMac G5 models. Personally the design is one of my favorites. The real issue with these is the capacitors seem to have issues (not all of them, but a lot of them). If yours is OK then you have a nice machine. Just open it up and look at them and see if they are bulging or leaking, if not you are good to go right now.

They are still very useful for web browsing (TenFourFox browser is my favorite), email, MS Office, etc. Basically most uses. The limitations are really the PowerPC processor not being supported and older versions of iTunes, etc. that may not support newer i devices if you are using devices such as the iPhone 5.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Actually it's THE fastest G5 iMac :p

Essentially Leopard with the Mountain Leopard theme on this forum will make it feel like a new machine. All credit to AQUADock for preparing such an awesome theme.

You can do Office 2008 (still good), iTunes 10.6.3, iWork 09, iLife 09, and many other things. Essentially anything a modern PC can do your iMac can do but needs the right software. Worst case, I am sure you can sell it for at least what you paid.

urbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Leeds, UK
Cheers everyone.

Which capacitors are prone to bulging, I'll have a look tonight.

I did remove the front, but then didn't remove the LCD or anything, looks quite complex to be honest.

It's currently got 1.5GB RAM, would 2.5GB make a massive difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.