iMac G5 iSight - Blank screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by woodburyboy, Jul 8, 2013.

1. woodburyboy macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a faulty iMac G5 for very little money in the hope I might be able to fix it.

When the iMac switches on, it chimes and the white light appears in the bottom right hand corner of the display. The fans are audible, but they don't ramp up in sound at switchon and then fade away. After a further 10-15 seconds, the CD/DVD player makes the eject noise. The monitor remains blank.

I've removed the cover to the screen and exposed the 4 diagnostic led's. Nr 1 lights up when the power lead is connected. Nr 2 lights up upon switching on the iMac followed by led nr 3 after a further 10-15 seconds.

I purchased a vga extension lead for my other iMac but it doesn't appear to be the correct size for this iMac, its too big. I was hoping to plug in an external monitor to eliminate the monitor power inverter but the lead I suspect i need looks expensive.

Can someone with knowledge or experience of this problem please be able to offer me some advice. Is the next stage to remove the logic board and check out the caps? ...or do I need to get that vga lead to connect up an external monitor to eliminate the monitor power inverter? There isn't even a faint image on the monitor so from reading around the subject, I doubt its that.

Model nr - MA063LL/A

Regards

Mark

2. ickystay macrumors regular