iMac G5 iSight - LED Screen

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dave.Rowland, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Dave.Rowland, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013

Dave.Rowland macrumors newbie

Dave.Rowland

I have recently acquired an PPC 20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz || 1.5Gb Ram || 250Gb (A1145) and was thinking It would be good to upgrade the screen to LED as it runs cooler than LCD and we all know how PPC's generally like to get warm. So I was wondering if anyone have done it before and what model display they had gone for, I have seen post saying the gfx are capable of hd so it would also look better as well in theory.

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Not a bad computer, however there really isn't anything you can do to upgrade it. You are stuck with the stock LCD. I have a 17" iSight G5 and that thing just fell apart. If you wanted to do a hack, DremelJunkie has some guides for a 20" iSight but with the guts removed and was replaced with a 20" Cinema display.

3. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

Well, Apple usually uses standard connectors for the internal display. So it might be possible, but probably with a lot of re-wiring...

4. Dave.Rowland thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave.Rowland

Thanks for the input guys

looks like am gonna have to dissect the old thing and find out which screen it got.

will keep you posted.

5. G-Force macrumors 6502a

LED backlit LCD panels can get pretty hot also by the way.

6. tigerintank macrumors regular

what about just connecting an external screen?

7. Dave.Rowland thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave.Rowland

Just wanted to be different. "Unique is best!" as long as it is the right modification completed properly.

8. tigerintank macrumors regular

i agree btw. just a suggestion of an easier route.

i for one will be interested to hear how you get on

9. Dave.Rowland thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave.Rowland

Thanks for the info tigertank

I have been rather tied up on other things since my last post but I have today managed to find time to disect the old G5 only to find I have the more common and unfortunatelly more difficult Philips M series display, so time for lots more research. In the 'meantime while it open it gonna get a good vacuum out and a 500GB SSD installled

----------

Thanks for the info tigerintank

I have been rather tied up on other things since my last post but I have today managed to find time to disect the old G5 only to find I have the more common and unfortunatelly more difficult Philips M series display, so time for lots more research. In the 'meantime while it open it gonna get a good vacuum out and a 500GB SSD installled

10. tigerintank macrumors regular

Good luck with the screen.

Btw re using an SSD - i tried one in my iMac G5 ALS a year or 2 back and it didnt seem to make much difference.

The only thing i measured was the boot time and iirc it was within a second or 2 of the 7200 Samsung i normally used.

It may have been down to the SATA port running at 1.5G/Sata 1 on the ALS - but again thats from memory.

In any case for the short time i tried it didnt 'feel' faster. Think it was a Vertex of some sort - borrowed from a friend for a weekend.

11. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Agreed with the last poster. I tried an SSD in my iMac G5 and did not notice any difference in comparison to the stock HD. It was definitely not worth the expense.