imac g5 isight new HDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DavyC412, Jan 8, 2009.

1. DavyC412 macrumors member

i have an iMac g5 with isight on it, and i finally managed to swap out its dead HDD for a new WD 160GB SATA drive.

now it wont let me partition the HDD properly. i go to utilities, disk utilities, then try to partition it. it seems like it begins to partition it and the progress bar starts going at the bottom, until it gets maybe 25% across, then just suddenly completes. the new "partition" it creates has no available space, doenst have the name i specified, and wont verify because it has "an error" and will not repair because it has "an error"

does anyone have any idea what is going on?

note, i didnt partition the HDD before i installed it, which is why im trying to do it now.

an apple tech guy just said there is a problem with the HDD controller and that the HDD was fine, so the old one was probably ok too (so i wasted 50 bucks... great). can this be flashed easily by the tech guy or is it the kind of thing that would reqire a full Motherboard replace (essentially meaning chucking the computer and getting a new one would probably be more worthwhile)

thx

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. DavyC412 thread starter macrumors member

how can i format it, it isnt even partitioned yet