iMac G5 isight ram upgrade?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by foen, Oct 29, 2017.

1. foen macrumors newbie

I rescued from the trash bin a old iMac G5 isight with some cosmetic marks but in full working condition. It's a 2.1 GHz 1 gb RAM.
    Now I restored leopard and some essentials but with TFF and webkit web navigation its a trouble. Do you thinks guys that a full 2.5 gb of ram worth the update for overall performances?

Thank you

Enrico

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

More ram is always good.

I would optimize Leopard as best you can. There are a few threads here on that.

If you intend to keep using T4Fx you might also want to optimize that. See the link in my signature.

3. foen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for you reply. I optimized T4F but sincerely it seems to be the same. Probably I wrong something...

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

I have the very same iMac but currently running Tiger - it's a great Mac.
    More memory is always a good idea but it won't help a great deal specifically with web browsing - your problem there is the age of the CPU and the web largely using technologies optimised for X86 not PPC.
    The only real speed up for web browsing is ad/Flash blocking and javascript mitigation - you can also browse mobile versions of sites and sppof your browser as a mobile device.

5. Orizence macrumors 6502

I have a 2GHz iMac G5 ALS as my main PowerPC desktop until I can get my PowerMac G5 up and running again and after overclocking the GPU and putting in a fast HDD this thing is more than capable right now for basic tasks. I only have 1GB of ram and am doing fine, how much ram does yours have?

6. foen, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

foen thread starter macrumors newbie

I got 1 gb ram . Web browsing it's frustrating but other uses would be fine. I'm only figuring its 2.5 gb would be an enhancement or not. I settled the imac in wifey's kitchen but it's impossibile to surf for a recipe or a YouTube tutorial .

Anyway it's a wonderful machine. It sounds like magical

7. philgxxd macrumors regular

philgxxd

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

What exactly is the problem? Your machine is fully capable of browsing and Youtube. I take it you've tried optimised TenFourFox and Leopard Webkit?

9. foen thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i installed Ten Four Fox and Web kit but they are still so slow for surfing ...

10. Orizence macrumors 6502

Maybe try the mobile versions of sites?