Imac G5 keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UnitedRed, Sep 4, 2008.

1. UnitedRed macrumors member

Didn't know what to search for so sorry if theres another topic already.

Today my iMac has been acting up for some reason, it just started to freeze when I had firefox open earlier and then get that spinning ball but nothing would happen. I had to switch it off using the button on the back, I just thought it was a panic thing and thought no more about it.
    Most times I have to now keep restarting several times before I can get back to my desktop again. It won't let me get into safe mode (Shift isn't it?).
    I either get a blue screen or a grey one when I turn it on but thats it, nothing else

I managed to get into disk utility and repaired disk permissions, but when I tried verify disk I got this message in the attachment but I don't know what error it is. I'm hoping its an easy fix somehow.

I'm using safari to do this message to see if it stays on, without crashing again forcing another restart

Don't know if this is any help
    Machine Name: iMac G5
    Machine Model: PowerMac12,1
    CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.9 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 633 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.2.6f1
    Serial Number: W85468GYTAT
    Sales Order Number: Z0CK000JF

Attached Files:

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Looks like the file system is having problems

If you don't have a backup, then now is the time to take one, as soon as you can get back to your desktop. Or if you have another Mac you can connect to your iMac in target disk mode and get a backup that way.

Then I would reformat the hard disk on your iMac and reinstall your system. It's possible you may be able to fix it with a repair utility, but I prefer to go back to a clean sheet and start over

3. UnitedRed thread starter macrumors member

I don't have a backup just a few folders copied over onto my external harddrive which keeps updated with silverkeeper. Whats the easiest and quickest way to have a backup of everything?
    I don't know if the mac could do it because it just seems to keep crashing so i'd probably end up wasting a lot of time copying files only to have to keep trying again. To type this message i've had to restart twice.

Also I don't have a clue about this reformatting you mentioned?
    Can you explain what I would have to do please, I take it involves installing the cd that came with my mac again?

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Yes. Basically you insert the DVD that came with your Mac, or a retail copy of Tiger/Leopard, and power cycle your Mac while holding down the "C" key. This will boot the DVD. When it has booted you can go into Disk Utility and select the Erase option to reformat your hard disk - WARNING, this will erase everything on your hard disk. Once the disk has reformatted, you have a couple of choices: Either install a new copy of OS X from the DVD, or restore a copy from a previous backup - see next comment

The best backup you could take at this point would be a full image backup using SuperDuper. For this you either need an external hard disk, AND for your iMac to stay up long enough to complete the backup, OR you need another Mac with either enough disk space to back up your iMac, or an external hard disk with enough space. You then connect the 2nd Mac to your iMac via their Firewire ports, and restart your iMac while holding down the "T" key. This will mount your iMac as a target disk on the 2nd Mac, and hopefully enable you to take a SuperDuper backup of it.

Once you have the backup, and while the iMac is still mounted as a disk, you can format the disk in your iMac straight from the Disk Utility on the 2nd Mac. Using SuperDuper you then restore the image you just took a backup of, back onto the iMac disk. Reboot the iMac, and it should be happy again.

5. UnitedRed thread starter macrumors member

has been ok so far today, but i've not had it on for long. Fingers crossed.
    Think I might need to buy another external HD before I attempt a backup as the one i've got won't hold everything on here as its only 300GB with 118 left :(
    Guess i'll have to try and live with this for a couple of weeks until I get another one, thanks blodwyn