iMac G5/Leopard questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dryjoy, Mar 3, 2010.

1. dryjoy macrumors regular

Hi

My mum is getting a new iMac soon and has offered us her old one in exchange for me setting up and handling her migration to the new machine. The old one is one of the white G5 iMacs that looks very similar to the first of the Intel ones. Not sure of CPU speed but I know it has 1.5GB RAM and 17" screen.

It's quite good timing as my wife and I were thinking about getting a second hand Mac Mini for the lounge, but we could really do with not spending any money, because we are in the process of buying a property, so if we could make do with the free G5 iMac for a year or two, that would be really, really helpful.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro which I use for my music, the G5 iMac will just be used for Internet, email and occasional MS Office work so it should be good enough until we have a bit of spare cash for a Mini or new iMac.

The only thing is that she never upgraded to Leopard, so the G5 is still on 10.4.11 . I would really like to install Leopard, as I don't really enjoy using Tiger.

I am just trying to work out the cheapest legal way of doing this, because the benefits of having a free computer will be wiped out if I end up buying a retail copy of Leopard from somewhere, as it seems to still be quite expensive. If I was to do that, we might as well spend a bit extra on a secondhand Mini with Leopard or even Snow Leopard already installed.

Is there anywhere I can still get a Tiger to Leopard upgrade disc, and if so roughly how much should this cost (we're in the UK)? Is there some other alternative I've not thought of? I've done some Google searches, but haven't been able to find an upgrade disc or discovered some other alternative.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

A retail Leopard disk, there really are no upgrade disks save for a few Intel machines, are fetching high premiums because it is the last PPC OS. EBay is your best bet but expect to pay GBP70 or more. You will really need to want Leopard to justify that kind of money on a machine you intend to replace anyway.

3. dryjoy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. Hmmm.... I feared that might be the case.
    I'll have to work out what to do then. It's a shame, because this free G5 could be a really great stop-gap measure for us, IF I could could get Leopard on there.
    Maybe we could make do with Tiger for the time being.