iMac G5 memory management question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Oct 14, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello!

I just switched from an iBook G4 to an iMac G5 and I wanted to run something past the PPC people here to make sure I wasn't crazy or if the behavior I am seeing with the iMac is normal.

When I was using my iBook G4 with 1.5GB RAM, I would usually have plenty of Memory available for numerous apps(those apps being Mail, WebKit, iTunes, Activity Monitor, Terminal, and TenFourFox). The problem I am seeing now is that the iMac G5(PowerMac 12,1, 1.9GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 633MHz bus speed with iSight, running OS X 10.5.8) doesn't seem to be as effective at memory management as the iBook. Inactive memory builds up more quickly and I am noticing page outs and have already used 16.02 MB of Swap.

What I'm wondering is: Is this normal, and should I basically be looking for a more RAM. Thanks in advance for any insight and assistance.

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

When I had my iSight 1.9GHz G5 (Which turned out to be horrible 2 months after I bought it) I also had 1.5GB ram in it. General usage was fine but it was slowwwww. At the time I had a mini G4 with 1GB of ram and running apps seemed much faster with the mini.

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for responding! I'm glad that I'm not crazy (well about this anyway). I am regretting the sale of my PowerMac and what I just got used to being able to do with no worries about power, speed, etc. Now I have my iBook running Handbrake to try and copy a movie since the disc is scratched and it's going to take about an hour to make an .m4v from a 27 minute video clip. LAME! :)

The reason I'm using the iBook instead of the i Mac is because the super drive is suddenly not being recognized at all and I don't have the tools to take it apart and figure out what's going on in there. I'm really glad tat disk utility exists and that I was able to make .dmgs of most of my installation discs!

Anyway, thanks again!