iMac g5 Memory (need help!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Floris1994, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floris1994 Guest

Thanks for help I ordered RAM but I don know how to delete threads lol.

how can I delete all this?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can find information on the kind of memory your computer uses on Apple's specs page.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that memory will work but would not max out the computer. you should be looking for memory that is 667mhz SO-DIMM. (double sided).

4. iMouse macrumors regular

Which iMac G5?

Apple made several versions of the iMac G5 differing in display size, case thickness, processor speed and if it came with an iSight camera in the top of the display or not.

The later iMac G5's were equipped with boards to support DDR2 memory where the earlier models were using DDR.

I highly recommend buying RAM from a retailer that either specializes in Macs or custom-builds memory to manufacturer spec. Crucial and Kingston are two of my favorites. I've never had an issue with modules from either company. In some cases, "universal" Brand X modules from <insert store> has caused performance or stability problems with my Macs.

5. iMouse macrumors regular

Wrong

Sorry, that is incorrect information.

He has a 17" iMac G5 1.8GHz that takes PC2700 (3200 compatible) DDR400 modules. I missed the information in his signature on my initial post.

While DDR2 667MHz models may work (RAM steps down), it is well known that in a lot of cases that using un-spec'ed RAM causes unexpected application quits, kernel panics, and corrupted data. Also, attempting to expand the memory beyond the system's 2GB ceiling may also cause the unit to fail to boot. I have never came across an iMac G5 that detected (and used) more than 2GB of installed RAM.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac (G5-1.8GHz, 17-inch)

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

7. Cboss macrumors 6502

400mhz I believe

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Ddr 2 will not even work and 667 for that matter since the strips of 667 are way smaller, pc 3200 400mhz is the correct ram like the link he has and yea, fun. i just upgraded mine not to long ago, but not max obvs.

9. Floris1994 thread starter Guest

no it is 400MHz

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you wiki PC3200, its 200mhz. maybe its dual channel or something?

11. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Yes its 400mhz an it is...

Overall ITS THE CORRECT RAM!!!!!!! and a good dealio too i got sucked in by 1gb for $40 because i couldnt find ne anywhere and i needed it. and didnt want to wait online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.