IMAC G5 Middle Screw

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by viridiansky, Jan 7, 2008.

1. viridiansky macrumors newbie

I'm trying to install some RAM into my IMAC(1.6GHZ 17inch), there are 3 screws on the bottom I need to unscrew. The screws on the left and the right are fine, the one in the middle however, just turns, and turns and turns and turns and turns, how ever, no matter how long I turn, I can't lift the back off.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Have you opened that iMac before? I ask because if memory serves, that middle screw doesn't really seem to be unscrewing because of it being "captive" and the way everything lines up, and it takes a little bit of a pull to get the case to pop up after you've loosened all three screws.

Maybe try giving it a little twist upward (since the end with the screws comes up first, sort of pulling up and away on the foot is the best way to get it started) if you haven't already.

If you have taken it apart before or already pulled as hard as you're comfortable with (it definitely shouldn't be very hard), never mind me.

You could try getting a small magnet to pull that screw out a little, if it seems to be stuck, or maybe try wedging something very thin in around the screw to pry it away a bit. If it's spinning freely that'd mean the interior was completely stripped (which would rather surprise me--that takes a LOT of force), so it would just sit in its hole holding the case together.

3. viridiansky thread starter macrumors newbie

I've never opened it up before, but If I pull really hard, the two bottom corners come up, but the middle stays stuck.

It seems like the screw is stripped.
    The screw easily spins in circles. To the extent I can just put the tip of my finger on it and turn it.
    As for the magnet idea, I am afraid to try that because I think magnets mess up computers.

I'm gunna take it in today, if the people at the mac store can't do anything then I'll just have to drill a hole through the screw and pull it out or something like that.

Thanks for your help.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Try getting the tip of a jeweler's (eyeglass) screwdriver under the edge and lever it out while unscrewing it. The shank might be a little stripped at tie head and may need the outward pressure to get going.