iMac G5 Mini VGA to LCD TV "No Signal", Windows PC's Work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by portamento, Jun 30, 2007.

1. portamento macrumors newbie

i recently purchased a 32" vizio lcd/hdtv with rgb(vga) input....but cannot get a signal out from my imac g5....(imacg5,17",10.39,1.8,2g-ram,has mini vga out, NOT DVI or newer type)
    my connection is a mac mini vga adapter to a 6' svga cable plugged directly to my rgb/vga pc cable input on my vizio lcd monitor. when i plug the adapter into the mac, the mac "recognizes" the external monitor by changing its display to 1024x768. AND, in display prefs' it now shows me TWO setting windows, one for "imac display" and another showing "vga display"..so obviously the mac is "seeing" the external....i have also changed the display setting to every resolution in the vga option, as well as all the HZ as well..(mostly trying 1020x768-60hz)......should be THE ONE, ya know..?.

i have tried two of my pc windows laptops, on the same end as my vga adapter is on, and the vizio external monitor INSTANTLY shows external video from both of my windows laptops,( at 1024x768, as well as alot of other ones bigger and smaller) i have also tried TWO different mini vga adapters from the apple store thinking one could have been bad, and i am assuming the 6' vga cable, as well as the 32 monitor is good to go since basically every other pc i hook up works, except this imac..( i only have one mac in the studio so therefore i cannot try another one to rule out video card out on imac..)...

any kind of settings i should check, resets, something im missing?....im only wanting to mirror, NOT remote, so it should be plug and play right?...

any info someone can give me to try would be helpful, as the apple store is about an hour from my house, and im dreading another drive.

you may email me directly: dfarlow@columbus.rr.com, and if youre a genius, or super guru ill call ya if need be......this is for a business, and im just not as mac capable as i should be......

thanks

david farlow/ portamento records

2. portamento thread starter macrumors newbie

updating some info..

i ran the hardware disk test checker thingy, everything passed. ive also tried about every combination of turn this on then that,,,,that then this.....unplug replug, blah blah blah..

also checked the recall/video repair extension program for my particular serial number, and its not in that range either///

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im not sure if this will do anything, but when i connect my monitor i have to go to system preferences > displays and then in the display tab there is a button that says "detect displays". this gets my monitor up and running. give that a go if you already havent.

good luck!

4. portamento thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks but yes, i have done the " detect displays", it shows the vga monitor, and the imac in pref's,. its just not "outputing" the video

5. wayne s. macrumors newbie

I am trying to the same thing you are. I have been able to get it to work if I hook up the cable to the computer first and then the TV. Otherwise it will not work at all. For some reason I'm not yet getting it to work every time I hook it up. Not sure what I'm doing different.