iMac G5 monitor question..

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pojo1806, Feb 26, 2013.

1. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

If I connected my iMac G5 to a 24" monitor would the resolution be stuck at 1440x900 in the middle of the screen or would i be able to select the highest resolution of the 24" monitor?

I am aware you need the spanning hack for extended display but I am not looking to extend my display, purely just want a bigger monitor than my 17" G5.

I also know I need the mini vga to vga cable which I have found on eBay.

2. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

AFAIK it'll only run @ 1024x768 (mirrored). Using the spanning hack would probably be a better option.

3. pojo1806 thread starter macrumors 68000

So it would be better to use the 17" imac plus another monitor for extended? Would the "extended" screen still only be in 1024x768?

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I've never used it myself, so I can't speak from first hand experience. However, I looked back through the dev's blog & he has this to say;

5. pojo1806 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks again for the speedy reply, I think I will give this a go then. Hopefully I can use the spanning hack to extend, and then make the extended display act as display 1 at a higher resolution?

6. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I'm not sure if you'll be able to 'natively' use the external display as the primary. However, you can get the menubar on the secondary display via Secondbar, or by rearranging displays in system preferences. And I believe as long as you have the dock on the right/left (depending on where the external monitor physically is) as oppose to the bottom, the dock will move within both monitors.

7. pojo1806 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks again! I cannot be more thankful! So with the spanning hack allowing higher resolutions + second bar app, if I put my dock onto the left or right (depending where i put my monitor) I basically have it set up exactly how I wanted. :D