Imac G5 no boot

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by yamaha81, Jan 28, 2012.

1. yamaha81, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

yamaha81 macrumors newbie

yamaha81

So a while back I was trying to make my old iMac G5 run a little faster so I deleted a bunch of files. I was stupid and did not know what any of them were. So I turned off the computer and now it will not boot. I have tried inserting a retail mac osx install disk 10.5.6 and it sounds like it is trying to read but it sits at the apple logo screen with the spinny thing for a while then goes to the blue screen and does nothing. Is there any way to fix my computer?

Edit: Now it has gone to a grey screen with a spinning beach ball and still sounds like it is trying to read the disk. And if I dont use the install disk it turn on and says a bunch of words on the screen like
    panic(cpu: Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerMac8,1".

Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:

and a lot more.

2. yamaha81 thread starter macrumors newbie

yamaha81

I think I have figured out the problem. The instal disk require 512mb of RAM amd the iMac only has 256mb. So I need to buy a new stick of memory and install it, then boot with the disc.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You could try to start up in verbose -v, hold Command and V on boot time, hold it until you see the boot screen, now you could see what going on.

Or hold the shift key while starting up, that's safe boot.

It might be that your DVD/Cd is damaged.

But first try without DVD and do the above, especially the safe boot could help.

4. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I don't think that RAM will work. Any fairly modern Mac with any amount of RAM will boot off the disk, but not install, if it does not have enough RAM. I'd check the capacitors or power supply.