iMac G5 No video help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iLucas, Apr 4, 2011.

1. iLucas macrumors 6502

I have found an iMac G5 20" 1.8ghz for sale for $120, which seems like a good deal, but they said the video doesnt work. Although it does have a chime.
    Is this a common issue?
    Or is this not even worth spending the money to try to fix?

2. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

The iMac G5's are known for bad capacitors so that could very well be the issue. If that is it then you need a voltage meter, new capacitor and some soldering skills.

Could you/they try an external display and see if it works?

3. DSPalpatine macrumors member

zen's advice is good. If it is a blown capacitor issue and you are handy with a solder, you stand a good chance of getting it up and running.

However, if it is the video card that is toast, you should pass on the purchase. Is it theoretically possible to replace the video card? Yes. Is it easy, or worth the effort. Probably not.

If you're able to inspect the machine, it would be good to bring a phillips screwdriver and open up the back of the computer to check the caps. If possible, you could also try to drive an external display. If the internal display panel is the problem, don't bother buying the machine either.

My $0.02, I'd stay away from this iMac. The iSight G5 iMacs are less problematic than the pre-iSight models, and you can find a good deal on many of these machines if you hunt around.

Were it me, I'd contact the seller and say, "Look, the machine isn't worth $120 in its current state. If you can't sell it at your asking price, call me back if you just want to unload it. I'll give you $50 for it." If they take you up on it, great. If not, move along, nothing to see here.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That G5 is also known for having bad soldered GPU connections. Check for bad or bulging caps first which is only a $20 fix. Only way to fix the GPU is having the solder reflowed which will cost you around a $100 or more.