Imac G5 Noob needing bit of help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gash, May 20, 2017.

1. gash macrumors newbie

gash

Evening all

Up to last Thurs i had never touched a mac before, i was given a G5 to run a camera system on a telescope. Over the last couple of days i have been working my way through the operating system and trying to figure the basics out.
    The imac has Final cut express 4 installed and i was wanting to use an existing firewire camera that i have. The camera is an ex medical microscope camera (Spec sheet attached) - problem that i have is getting the camera to work in fce4, can anyone shed any light on the issue please.
    Regards

Gary

Attached Files:

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Does the camera show up as an external drive when plugged in?

If so, open the drive and import the footage into FCE. I don't think you'll have any luck getting FCE to import the video directly from the camera, at least not without hacks.

3. gash thread starter macrumors newbie

gash

Thanks for the reply, when looking in system it actually shows up as the camera it should be under firewire.

Pixeline PL-A686C Camera

I cant actually see any sign of an external drive showing up.

If FCE wont do it, are there any image capture programs available which would take the device, i then could just use fce to edit and render it

Sorry forgot to mention, the camera actually works with ichat on video preview.

Cheers

Gary

4. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Did you try to access the camera with iMovie?

5. gash thread starter macrumors newbie

gash

Thanks Bobesch, Not sure if iMovie is on the system, will have a look tonight when home from work, Can you select the video source with iMovie?

6. gash thread starter macrumors newbie

gash

Ok tried it on imovie and all i get is No Camera Connected, so i though about other progs. Managed to get a version of quicktime working and hey presto i get an image. First was of the conifers at the bottom of the garden, second i focused on a tv ariel at the other end of the street - apologies for the poor videos, still learning lol

Attached Files: