iMac g5 not recgonizing RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by supergod, Nov 9, 2007.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I bought a stick of 2gig RAM from crucial for my iMac G5 iSight 20". I've installed it now and it has fully clicked in and feels secure, but it is not showing up in About This Mac. I've since taken it out and tried again, multiple times, to no avail. Any suggestions?

2. ahmed.hassan macrumors member

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can fit a 2GB stick of RAM in the iMac G5. I say this because I do not recall being able to expand an iMac G5 to 4GB (as would be the case for a 2GB stick to be successfully recognised).

3. pedex macrumors member

I think Ahmed is correct, on my imac G5 i had two 1 gig sticks one in each slot and that was the most it would support. It was the ambient sensor release though so it was older than yours. do a google search for a program called rember. It is a gui ram testing tool.

4. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

This is the final model of iMac g5. It had 512mb of RAM built in that can't be removed and one slot. I originally had another 512mb of RAM in the second slot. The computer is made to be able to have 2.5 gig of RAM in it.

I downloaded the application you suggested and it still says that the slot is empty...

5. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

iMac g5 not recgonizing RAM

The only thing that I can contribute, is. Are you very sure that the RAM you bought fits the Apple specks?

Now I only buy RAM from online vendors that sell certified Apple RAM. Like OWC.

It's easy enough to order the wrong spec, I did it, I looked for the very lowest price. And have been surprised to find it didn't work.

Now I only buy Apple Certified RAM. And I call the vendor to make absolutely certain that I get exactly what I need.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The iMac G5 iSight model has 512 Mb RAM built in, and a single DDR2-533 DIMM (PC2-4200) socket which can take up to a 2 Gb module for a total of 2.5 Gb.

Ammed, pedex -- check your facts a little closer next time.

Joe, there really isn't any such thing as "Apple Certified" RAM. Apple is not in the business of testing and approving third party RAM suppliers. You could buy RAM directly from Apple at 2 - 4 x market prices, but that is money-foolish.

If you get RAM from a reputable supplier (like Crucial) who tests and guarantees compatibility with your Mac model, then you should have no worries.

Super: it could just be that you received a DOA module. Call Crucial and ask them. Which Crucial module in specific did you buy? Did you use their RAM configurator to select the right model?

7. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

I used their RAM configuratormajig and got the RAM they recommended DDR2 PC2-4200

I guess I might just be calling crucial to have them replace it.